Small 6L6 Amp Needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scottrolf, Apr 28, 2015.

1. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

Now that I've acquired my long sought after Gibson Custom L5-CES, I thought I look into a smaller more portable amp with that specific guitar in mind. I'm obviously looking for something that will compliment the clean jazzy tones the L5 is noted for but very portable. i.e. grab and go.
    Any/all suggestions welcome of course.

Thanks,

2. GasMask

GasMask Member

Lots of great options out there. Builders like Vintage Sound & Headstrong make small Fender type amps that run 6L6's. VS makes a Princeton style that can run 6L6's. The Carr Rambler is a nice small 6L6 amp, but a little different voice. RedPlate can make a small 6L6 amp too. (Bruno Cowtipper sounds better than any of them but it's a little bigger, although I can't imagine a jazz gig I couldn't play with my 6V6 Cowtipper.)

3. jsboswell

jsboswell Supporting Member

Top Hat Super Deluxe with the Americana mod. Sounds phenomenal with an L5.

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

The non reverb 1x12 Vibrolux.

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Some of the Fender amps like a Blues Deluxe, Devilles etc. in the 1 x 12 version.

6. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

How small we talking here? 5 watt/8" speaker small? Or 12 watt/12" speaker small? Do you also need reverb and/or an fx loop?

The Allen Chihuahua could be a good fit -- it's a single ended 6-to-14 watt Champ-type amp (depending on tube choice) with some welcomed improvements:

• a good master volume
    • an effective mid/raw knob that takes the amp from scooped BF cleans to mid-in-front raunch
    • tube driven AB763-style spring reverb
    • light weight, finger jointed pine cab
    • will run a variety of tubes (I've run 6L6s, EL34s, KT66s, 5881s, and 6550As in mine)

it's small and light, in combo form it typically comes with a 10" Copperhead, which is a very clear and "nice" sounding speaker -- nice rounded notes, handles cleans and overdrives well, polite but not sterile. But the 10" cab is big enough to hold a 12" speaker if you want to maximize the speaker size.

Of course, there are a lot of other boutique amps in this power range, too. Lots of good choices out there for a light weight, clean, clear sounding amp.

7. Claytone

Claytone Member

Another vote for the Fender brown Vibrolux circa 1962, 1x12" with 6L6 tubes and lots of clean headroom, warm sounding with great vibrato. A unique set of features at a great size and weight, it is amazing Fender did not continue this combination but instead turned it into the 2x10" Vibrolux Reverb, another great amp but not the same size or weight.

8. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

Something in the 15W-18W range, 10"-12" speaker, single channel, non-master volume plug & play. Reverb would be nice but not essential.

9. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

Let me ask you this: Would you recommend one of the Roland Cubes?
    I only say this because I've seen some Jazz players playing through JC120's and they sounded pretty decent.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  10. GasMask

GasMask Member

If that's your wattage range, you're looking at 6V6 amps, not 6L6 amps. (unless you want to run a single ended 6L6)
    Should save you some weight.

11. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

12. 5150

5150 Member

Brunetti Singleman! <than 40lbs.

13. macbrahms

macbrahms Member

I think the Toneking Sky King is an option. Two 6L6, tube-driven spring reverb, 2 channels, one with Blackface style cleans, the other one goes from Tweedish to early Marshall voicing, a 12" light Wright combo, built-in attenuator. Not cheap, but for me worth every Cent.

14. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

I've got a brown Vibrolux, and it's great with an archtop. If you push it, the overdrive is amazing, but it's also very controllable and has beautiful cleans.

I also like archtops through tweed amps, even for clean jazz (many of the classic tones were recorded on them). A tweed Deluxe has an incredible clean tone, but if you start to push them even a little bit, they can get a bit woofy and out of control. The slightly bigger fixed bias tweed Tremolux (which could also be built as a 6L6 version) tames some of that wildness, but still delivers the harmonic complexity that helps you get the most out of an archtop.

For something new with reverb, etc., the Carr Rambler is awfully nice. If I didn't have the Vibrolux, I would love a Rambler.

15. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I've had a Roland Cube, and played through JC120's that were provided backlines. I never liked them, although the Cubes are nice and light.

Small and light weight 10 and 12 inch combo's that I've liked: Laney Cub 10, Vox TB18C1, Kustom V15. I've switched to a more efficient and better sounding speaker, in each amp. The Laney uses a Jensen C10R and weighs 19 lbs. The Vox TB18 uses an Eminence Lil' Texas and weighs 37 lbs. The Kustom uses an Eminence Legend 105-8, Military grade EL84M's, and weighs 27 lbs.

[​IMG]

16. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

Lots of good options here.
    Thanks very much.