small amp as carry-on luggage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guildchild, Mar 4, 2008.

1. guildchild

guildchild Member

i'm travelling down to sxsw this weekend and doing some touring around texas. i just got a Swart AST, and it doesn't fit inside my carry-on bag, but my fiance made a nice little tuki style cover for it and it is definitely small enough to carry on.

i'm checking my pedalboard and clothes (dumping the guitar onto the drummer), but i'm thinking that the AST can by my carryon. anyone ever tried to take a small tube amp through security?

i emailed TSA to find out, but haven't heard anything. doubt i will. my thought is that if i print out the page about the ast along with front / back pics from swart's site, and show my receipt that i'll have a better chance. i'll probably remove the tubes, but that might alter the look of it enough to make security even more nervous.

any thoughts? any TSA people on TGP?

2. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

I would expect a full cavity search trying to bring that on a plane. Yes I a m with the TSA.

3. guildchild

guildchild Member

huh... well, i assume you're being fairly serious. i guess it's time to pack that thing up and ship it or rent something down there.

thanks for the warning!

4. cesargrc

cesargrc Member

I actually went thru this whole scenario this weekend. I carried on a crate V16...size of a small suitcase. At both airports I just had to put it thru the x-ray...no questions asked. Now my pedalboard was a whole different story (they made me taking everything apart), but as I see you are planning on checking that in. I don't know what the rules are, but I did not have a problem and was allowed to place the amp in the overhead compartment on the flight there and in the closet on the way back.

Good luck with your travels.

5. guildchild

guildchild Member

glad to hear that. i've travelled with a smaller pedalboard before as a carryon and i went through a moderate (and appropriate) search. no big deal. this time, i have to take the big pedalboard...so i'll check it. hopefully i can deliver it to the xray guy and explain / help him through it before it get's checked.

i'm REALLY glad to hear you say that you had no problems with your amp.

i'll just keep my fingers crossed. given that the band is travelling together, it MIGHT make things easier and seem more legit. or the reverse could happen...

thanks!

6. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

TSA X-Ray'd it, saw all the wires wrapped around a core (i.e. transformers) and didn't question it? Not so much as a "what's this"?

I would have expected more screening...

7. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

At CLE? Are you a screener?

8. cesargrc

cesargrc Member

The guys knew what is was...I had the guitars go thru also...No questions on the amp or the guitars, just the pedalboard.

9. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

Right now what happens a lot is they weigh your carry on, so even if it fits in the overheads the weight could be a problem, I'm sure you're aware that most airlnes only allow now 2 pieces of luggage 50 pounds limit per bag, and one carry on, in the USA, in Europe only 20 kilos(about 50 pounds) total, last week from London to Paris, I had my guitar as a carry on, and two 50 pounds checked bags, I had to pay for one, and it's not cheap 207 GBP for one 23 kilo bag!!!( Air France)
    They also gave me a hard time about the weight of my electric guitar, as I had a few cables/pedals etc on the pockets.
    It seems every trip I take gets worse and worse when flying anywhere, I only bring now my main guitar, and one preamp Fx unit(Axe-Fx) and rent extra guitars, backup amps etc as it's becoming impossible to bring anything on a plane these days.

10. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

marshall pocket amp should be legal and will defintly fit

11. guildchild

guildchild Member

just as a followup for anyone who may search for this topic later on, i figured i'd post my results.

checked through security 3 times and had no real problems. on the 3rd attempt they did swab it for explosives etc. added about 2 mins to the process....no big deal. i did put my guitar into the xray machine first so that it would make a bit more sense, but all in all, things were fine.

12. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

i've carried on guitar heads without an issue. they were super cool about it and actually let me put it in the staff storage area so it wouldnt get knocked around

also check out the Li'l 15 Two Channel Head from Bad Cat. made to fit any commercial airline luggage compartment