Small amp for homerecording

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hemmick reef, Mar 13, 2006.

1. hemmick reef

hemmick reef Guest

I have decided to try using an amp for homerecording, as I am having so much success with mic'ing my bass amp.
    I have never really been happy with software amp modelling, so what's the choice for small amps that could do the job. I have my eye on the Laney 15w combos but there must be others in a similar price range?

thanks

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

I don't know how much Laney 15's are?

My best advice to you is to get a vintage Fender Vibro Champ - the Silverface versions are essentially the same as the more expensive Blackface ones. Get it tuned up and you'll have an amp that is great for recordings (Layla, anyone?) is reasonably priced and will definitely not go down in value.

Best, Pete.

3. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I have a Trace Elliot Velocette that sounds fantastic for recording. Clean tones with a Strat are so thick and woody. I use 1 box in front of it for a cleanish boost and I can take it to small jams and keep up just fine.

M.E.

4. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I'm playing my Aiken Tomcat right now. Great VOXish tones at easy on the ears levels. The gain boost function is great for overdrive and the attenuator works tremendously. A little pricier than a Laney, I'm guessing but it definitely fills the bill.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

fender pro jr. with a nice speaker upgrade.

with a great OD pedal, it'll shine.

6. hemmick reef

hemmick reef Guest

What sort of uk prices are we talking here - the Laney goes for £280

Thanks for the advice as well.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Usually SF Vibrochamps run in the $200-300 range. Princeton/Princeton Reverbs also record very well, although a little cleaner, as do Deluxe Reverbs and their reissues. The Pro Jr sells for less than $200 used. Also the Crate 5W amps can make killer recording amps with a little work (new speaker, tubes). Another possibility over there is if you could find one of the last few ADA Rocket R10r or R20r, single ended, less than $500 and killer recording tone.

8. reachjkh

reachjkh Member

Epi Valve Jr. head for $99. I don't like the combo as much as the head due to the 8" speaker and only a 4ohm out.

'lildog amps champ style amp. I've thought about one of these due to the nice price for a hand built amp.

9. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Tech 21 Trademark 10. This thing is made for recording. Recently discontinued, but I have seen them on ebay for under $200.

10. hemmick reef

hemmick reef Guest

I'll check the Tech 10. Is it valve?

Are there any other low watage amps (10w or less) suitable for home recording?

11. sage97

sage97 Member

I know it's a little pricey but the Cornford Harlequin was made specifically for recording. Only 6W.

Nice overdrive tones without busting your eardrums.

12. hemmick reef

hemmick reef Guest

Yeh, I've heard of the Cornford, what type of sounds can you get from it?

13. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

maybe an orange ad15 if you can find one? i had an ad30, and played an ad15, very cool vibe.

14. reachjkh

reachjkh Member

Cornford's website has a great selection of clips from that amp.