Small Amp for NGW this summer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Redhouse-Blues, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

What about the almighty Pignose 7-100?

2. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I went to Woodwind today and spent two hours playing with everything in the small combo group from Fender, the 600 and Frontman, Marshall MG10, Line 6 spider and mini spider, Vox, Peavy and Randell Kirk Hammet sig. I played with a small 3 watt Carr that killed, but was over a grand and I didn't want to spend that kinda cash for this. I went with the Micro Cube, I think it's sound great for what it is and it sounds better IMHO then the other offerings under $150 that are small enough to toss in a book bag. I'm still going to check out a Lunchbox amp when I get a chance.

I'm really looking forward to NGW next week!!!!

3. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I have to take back what I said, tonight I was in Guitar Center and I tried out a Vox DA5 and wow it's sounds way better then the Cube. The Clean 2 setting with just a touch of reverb will make you believe your playing a bigger cleaner amp, it's way cleaner and fuller sounding then the Cleans in the Cube. The Crunch 2 setting is a almost tube sounding OD, that's great for Blues leads and sounds more Bluesy then the Blues settings. The rest of effects sound ok and the other amp settings are ok, you get more adjustments. All in all, it sounds better then anything I have played with and a lot better then the Micro Cube IMHO. It's a tad lighter and fits nicely in a back pack.

4. FiveG

FiveG Member

I'm going this year for the first time. I have a Carr Mercury already; would that be overkill to bring with me?

Also, do folks typically bring more than one guitar along?

5. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

It all depends on you, guy's bring amp's of all different sizes. But, after I hauled around a DRRI on a luggage cart, I said never again. It get's to be a pain walking all over campus with it. This year, I did what other people did and had an amp small enough to fit in a back pack and it made life so much easier. In the class or the dorms, you never really turn anything up past one or so. The Vox I took with me worked great and everyone thought out of the Lil amp's, it sounded the most amp like.

A lot of people bring two guitars, you only use one in class. There's guy's that bring a different one everyday. I only take one for the week and change my strings through out the week. One thing I saw this year that I'm going to do next year, is bring a portable guitar stand for in the class.

Hope this helps, NGW rocks, you'll have fun and learn a lot.

6. FiveG

FiveG Member

You're supposed to change strings?:huh

7. Luke

Luke Senior Member

http://www.mightymoe.com/

If I were attending this year I'd go this route.

[​IMG]

It is all about portability at the NGSW. I don't want to have to run back to the room before lunch, after lunch, etc...this fits in the gig bag pocket.

8. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

You don't have to, I do because they get worn out from playing all day.

9. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Another vote for the ZT Lunchbox. I'm using it this week in Austin, and it's just impressing the crap out of me with the tone I'm getting and the portability.

Add to that the fact that the ZT will serve as the ultimate backup amp for gigs when you get home, to me it's a no-brainer - you gotta get one.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say if I never hear another G-DEC I will die a happy man. There are a couple of them in the class I'm taking, plus I've heard them before, and the tones(?) coming out of those things would choke a goat. Absolutely heinous.

10. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I took the Vox back to Guitar Center today, because I want to try the Lunchbox, which I ordered today. I totally agree about the G-Dec, in my class there was 3 of them and they sound like ass IMHO.

Have fun in Austin!!!