small Bass Amps

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Anthony M, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Anthony M

Anthony M Silver Supporting Member

Hi everyone. I'm hoping you can provide recommendations for a small bass amp in the 200 to 300 dollar range. It's mainly for jams in a carpeted 2 car garage. Thank you!!!

2. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Member

3. royd

royd Member

Jams with a drummer? If so, $200-300 is probably inadequate. I would guess you'll need at least a 12 inch or 2 10's speaker and probably at least 200 watts to keep up to a drummer and a couple of other instruments. If you're talking acoustic jams, then you will be OK with less.

A general rule for bass players is that you want 10X's the wattage of the guitar player and there really isn't any such thing as too much.

The smallest I would look at is this Carvin (which is available with either 1 15 or 2 10's - a matter of taste)

4. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

IME small bass amps are useless for all but practicing at home. If you plan to jam with a drummer, most small bass amps won't be able to keep up. My recommendation: get as much power as you can afford. Great used deals to be found that are well within your budget.

5. ronbo1

ronbo1 Member

The Fender Rumbles are nice, I have a 40W for bedroom playing and acoustic jams, but bang for buck IMO is the Gallien Kruger MB112. Same price (~$400) and wattage (200W) as the Rumble 200, but better tone, almost as light and a solid amp! It will do most anything you need unless you have a really loud drummer. If you need to play somewhere bigger they have an XLR out for going to a PA and powered cabs that will pretty much do anything you'll need.

6. Anthony M

Anthony M Silver Supporting Member

Sorry for not responding sooner. Thank you all for the input. Will look into the Rumbles.

7. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer Silver Supporting Member

I just got a Rumble 500 combo and is actually a great bedroom / practice amp too. Can be very quiet, and has a headphone jack.

8. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

I have a Markbass MicroMark; really simple, 50W, sounds great, keeps up with a drummer though I wouldn't use it on stage, and really lightweight. A used one should easily fit OP's budget.

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Agreed. You need 200-300w and 2x10 to keep up with an unshielded drummer. Anything less, and you are going to be disappointed.

Going direct is the other way if you guys have a board for your singers.

10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

The Carvin MB series is very nice.
    They have 1x15 or 2x10 combos for $349 each and a 1x10 inch combo for $299.
    (carvinamplifiers.com/collections/mb-series-bass-combos/products/mb10-micro-bass-amp-10-inch)

11. Gretsch47

Gretsch47 Supporting Member

I agree. I love my GK MB112. I use mine with a Fender Bass VI

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

The newer Rumbles are allegedly okay. The older ones were horrible.

13. TomRichards

TomRichards Member

14. meterman

meterman Member

I recently jammed with a guy who played an incredible early 60s Jazz Bass into a small Hartke "kickback" amp and sounded great. Surprising low end from a single 12" speaker and plenty loud enough to hang w drums, guitar and keys in a small room. Dude says he gigs it regularly too, though it's only 120w. Not tons of super deep lows but those can tend to muddy things up anyway sometimes...

http://www.samsontech.com/hartke/products/combos/kickback-combos/kb12/