• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

small bass cabs with most Low end?

joolzriff

thinking of ordering a markbass F500 and im currently trying to whittle my choices down by online reviews but im unable to test most of the gear due to where i live...
im looking for either a 2x10 or 1x15 cab thats fairly light and portable,easily fits in my trunk or backseat (3 series) with pretty amazing Low end considering its size........eventualy ending up w/ both cabs when funds permit.

If you can test drive an Epifani UL210 I think you'll be impressed. It comes in 8 ohm and 4 ohm versions - I use a 4 ohm cab as a "one cab" solution for small venues.

smallbutmighty

I do my own stunts.
Silver Supporting Member
I have a pair of Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 112's that do great for me. Not the low end of an 8x10 cab by any means, but respectable and a great trade-off for the portability.

I chose them over the Aguilar 1x12 cabs for their sound....and the fact that they are covered with Tolex instead of that insipid monkey fur.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
im looking for either a 2x10 or 1x15 cab thats fairly light and portable,easily fits in my trunk or backseat (3 series) with pretty amazing Low end considering its size........eventualy ending up w/ both cabs when funds permit.
you don't want to mix cabs.

two of the exact same box is always better for bass.

M

Member 1762

I have a pair of SWR Golight Jr 2x10s. One weighs 38lbs, the other 36.5lbs. I don't know why they are different weights, but they both sound great and move a lot of air. Paired together and stacked vertically they have more than I need for any gig.

GAT

I got a Markbass Jeff Berlin 1x15 combo. Plenty of low end, so I think the 1x15 cab would sound great.

dspellman

thinking of ordering a markbass F500 and im currently trying to whittle my choices down by online reviews but im unable to test most of the gear due to where i live...
Says "Ohio and U.K."

Have you see the Barefaced Bass site? http://www.barefacedbass.com/
I'd look at the Compact and the Big Baby. I realize that the current standard bass cab setup has been a 1x15 and/or a 4x10 (or 2x10) with a tweeter on top of that for a while now, but I think Barefaced Bass represents some pretty fresh thinking.

walterw

1x15 under a 2x10 or 4x10 is not a "standard" setup, it's an unfortunate habit that players and retailers have fallen into, caused by designing rigs with their eyes instead of their ears, and not knowing what each cab really does.

the 4x10 does not "bring mids and highs", and the 15 does not "bring lows". a typical 4x10 will have way more lows (and highs and volume and power) than a typical 15. the 15 just has a midrange sort of sound.

mis-matching cabs causes phase differences between the two (different port tunings, etc.), leaving holes in the low end response.

you're always better off with two identical cabs of whatever type. (i use two 15s because i like that fat, grindy midrange).

no sound company worth its salt ever mixes different types of sub cabs, and for the very same reason.

joolzriff

1x15 under a 2x10 or 4x10 is not a "standard" setup, it's an unfortunate habit that players and retailers have fallen into, caused by designing rigs with their eyes instead of their ears, and not knowing what each cab really does.

the 4x10 does not "bring mids and highs", and the 15 does not "bring lows". a typical 4x10 will have way more lows (and highs and volume and power) than a typical 15. the 15 just has a midrange sort of sound.

mis-matching cabs causes phase differences between the two (different port tunings, etc.), leaving holes in the low end response.

you're always better off with two identical cabs of whatever type. (i use two 15s because i like that fat, grindy midrange).

no sound company worth its salt ever mixes different types of sub cabs, and for the very same reason.
awsome...i was wondering bout that the other night.....im a guitar player learning the trade and currently employed solid on bass...i was wondering about the mixing of cabs and didnt think i should be going down that rd

GAT

Thanks for this intelligent post! I ordered the matching 1x15 cab for my combo.

dspellman

Yup, agreed. "Habit" might be the best word. And unfortunately, this is what you see in far too many ads for bass amps.

The EAD cabinets in this shot are next to a Traynor 2x10 for a size comparison. The Traynor is considerably heavier than the EAD cabinet. The EAD cabinet is 25"H x 21"W x 17"D, weighs 57 lbs, has two 12" subs, a 6.5" mid speaker and a tweeter. Frequency response range is 35Hz - 20KHkz, sensitivity is 102 dB, power handling is around 750W.

This is a NEW cabinet from a UK designer.

He also has a very interesting 1x12 (the Foundation 112) that reminds me of the Aguilar 112s:

In the second shot, the tilt-back can be increased by a flip-down fold-out stand that locks into a space on the box below it. In the first, the basic wedge design of the boxes is doing the work. There's a lip on the top back of the box to prevent your lightweight bass amp from sliding off. These are very small speaker cabs (perhaps 14" tall at the front), so the tilt-back feature offers some good monitoring characteristics on a compact stage without increasing stage volume. A pair of these is roughly equivalent to the single 212, above, except that there are now two 6.5" mids and two tweeters. While the photos make the stack look imposing it is, in fact, tiny. But it's also extremely powerful.

JohnSS

The Aguilar DB 285 JC is a pretty amazing package for great deep bass sounds. It was designed in conjunction with the legendary Jack Casady and has (2) 8" bass drivers and 5" midrange tweeter

walterw

as for "small cabs with the most low end", i'd have to go with isobaric boxes like the orange stuff, where you have 4 10s in a 2x10-sized box, or 2 10s in a 1x10-sized box. they use extra speakers hidden inside the cab that run "in tandem" with the speakers you see to increase their power.

they indeed have more low end than they "should", but; the 2x10 i tried out (which looked for all the world like a little 1x10 cab) had the low end (and power handling) of a 2x10, but it only had the loudness of a 1x10.

Blue_n_Jazz

:agree
Again, you are absolutely right. I also found that 12's are also midrange prone too. I usually used a 210 or 410 cab because I like the LOW. I just made a frown on my EQ (or sometimes a smirk :huh) to bump the mids to cut thru. eventually I got a 112 Avatar and sent a line to FOH for the subs. Worked like a charm.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom