Small Blues Rock amp needed

CaprioM85

in the market for anther amp. I play blues rock and mostly other stuff in that general category, Lott ebitnof classic rock as well. Have been rocking an ac15 for a few years and want a new flavor to add to the mix.

Looking into Supro Comet (top of budget) and the Princeton Reverb RIs. Kinda leaning toward the '68 custom, but would the Princeton break up too quickly for useable cleans in a live setting? I'm thinking I would be mic'ed up to the front of the house using it, but at what point does this guy break up? I know the comet starts to break around noon. I know the '65 breaks up later than the '68, but there is something about the '68 I like better than the '65. For live use, would the Deluxe be infinitely better?

Who has experience using these amps? Live would be much appreciated but not necessary to weigh in. Thanks!!

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
I wasn't a fan of either Princetons. I like a little more mids to my tone. The '68 will start to break up around 3 or 4 on the dial, depending on tube choice and bias. The '65 is good until 5-6, but the breakup is a different flavor as well.

No experience with the Comet, but I had an old Dual-Tone clone. It was ratty and brittle, but in a good way. Very Zep-ish. But that could have been because of the switch to EL84s the previous owner had done instead of keep the original power tube pin-out.

https://www.humbuckermusic.com/collections/cure/products/dr-z-cure-1x12-studio-combo-black-zw-grill

That might be the ticket. MV, level output, effects loop, 6V6, and 20 Dr. Z watts which will probably sound more like 30-40W. Under budget and hand wired.

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
If you use single coil pickups you have a lot more options for amps that won't break up too quickly. If that's a concern and you play humbuckers, you might want to opt for a DR variant over the Princeton.

My initial reaction in seeing your question is a good 5e3, but I prefer tweed tones to blackface.

CaprioM85

If you use single coil pickups you have a lot more options for amps that won't break up too quickly. If that's a concern and you play humbuckers, you might want to opt for a DR variant over the Princeton.

My initial reaction in seeing your question is a good 5e3, but I prefer tweed tones to blackface.
Teles and Strats mostly. No humbuckers in them except my tele pro, which I haven't received yet and will likely want the crunch on tap when using it anyway. I feel like I may end up with the DRrI

CaprioM85

For the majority of bars, no. Larger venues, yes. I should note, that I've seen alot of Blues jrs and Pro jrs. at Bar gigs.
Yep...I have seen so many Blues Jrs and Pros out there myself. I just dig the '68 custom tone so much right now I don't wanna go back to the Blues Jr. I had one and it was really nice. I may go with the DRrI in the end

SRQGuitar

Gold Supporting Member
DRRI or Vibrolux Reverb. The scooped mid sound is different from the AC15 and they're easy to move if find you don't dig it. Supros can sound cool but seem to take a big hit on resale if you're buying new and might be harder to resell. A used Supro is good bang for the buck if you like how they sound. I liked the couple I got to demo but don't have any in depth experience with them.

swiveltung

My experience is with vintage, but I've found the PR wont make it in some places, just get too nasty. The DR does it for me and can even be too loud if you are not careful.

dewey decibel

It really depends how loud you guys play. For me, the minimum I'd go with is a Deluxe Reverb, have you tried the '68 RI version? If you dig the '68 PRRI I think it'd be a no brainer.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Deluxe Reverb has been one of the kings of the bar scene for blues and rock players for decades. Paired with your AC15, it could be the perfect compliment to your sound.

CaprioM85

DRRI or Vibrolux Reverb. The scooped mid sound is different from the AC15 and they're easy to move if find you don't dig it. Supros can sound cool but seem to take a big hit on resale if you're buying new and might be harder to resell. A used Supro is good bang for the buck if you like how they sound. I liked the couple I got to demo but don't have any in depth experience with them.
The Comet is probably not the ticket for blues rock, but I do love the amp. I'll probably get what I NeEd now and grab a comet secondhand when I can. I just love the amp but maybe not for my gigs yet

LaceSensor1

Gold Supporting Member
It's a sweet amp but I like the 68 so I can't get fun colors. Guess the cool blue light will do

I've seen too many "noise" complaint threads on here. But I cannot confirm this on the 68 custom as I've never played through one.

My suggestions would be to play the 68 in a store first, try out a few OD/boost pedals. Too make sure it's not going to be too noisy for your liking.

67super

All depends on your setup. My current band always mics everything, the PR is fine for that. No mic then a DR is fine. These days I pretty much insist everything is mic'ed. It balances out the sound so well and cuts down on stage volume.

CaprioM85

All depends on your setup. My current band always mics everything, the PR is fine for that. No mic then a DR is fine. These days I pretty much insist everything is mic'ed. It balances out the sound so well and cuts down on stage volume.
Those are my thoughts as well, but I think the DRRI provides versatility the PRRI doesn't. But is the custom channel something I even want?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom