Small Builder in England

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Shredmonster, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

One guy builds guitars over there. He builds different styles but this one is similar to a Hamer Cali - I wanted really good upper fret access. Notice the beveled horns.

I know this forum is more into traditional guitars but what the hell...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. emjee

emjee Member

Oh, I dont know. I think this forum is open to anything if it is gear related.
    I kinda dig the look of that axe...I like the recesses in the cutaways, they're different. What kinda $ are we lookin at?

3. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

4. Dave L

Dave L Member

$1500? I´m googling them right now! That thing looks killer, how does it play and sound?

5. DamianL

DamianL Member

That sounds like a bargain price to me for rip-off Britain....

Sweet looking axe!

D

6. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

I have not received it yet. It will be sent next week. Keep in mind the exchange rate can change. So it can cost more or less at any given time.

I supplied my own volume pot and pick ups on this so also take that into account.

I know what the pups sound like so I know the guitar will sound spectacular. WB Custom Pups. Best pups I have ever ever heard. Fantastic when you split them. Nothing comes close when you split them.

Great guy to work with. Have had several conversations - maybe 20 or so since he started on various details.

They really are a bargain. You have to google Nocturne Guitars UK

But really cant tell you how it plays until I get it. However, I specified the neck measurements in detail.

7. MOJO

MOJO Member

Looks awesome..how about a run down of the specs?

8. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Definitely a class act, and he knows his stuff. I'd love to check out one of those "Gems"... ;)

9. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

I spoke with Jem a few times over the phone and he's great to chat to and knows his stuff.

10. kodecar

kodecar Member

Very cool. I was never able to learn to shred but as a child of the 80's always wanted to.

11. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

NECK Construction type: 3 pc laminated 24 frets 25.5" scale Timber: American rock maple Headstock: NC-1 Reversed Facing: Flame maple to match body (Burst) Fingerboard material: Birdseye maple Fingerboard radius: 12 - 16 compound. Frets 21>24 scalloped Fretwire: High wide(1.4x2.8) Dunlop 6100 equivelent Inlay: None. Black shell side dots 2mm Nut: Schaller R5 Details: 20.32mm depth at 1st 22.1mm depth at 12th
    BODY Shape: NC-1 Timber: Alder 45mm minus 3.2mm for droptop Facing: 3.2mm (1/8") bookmatched flame maple droptop Finish: Nitro Cellulose Colouring: Trans purple burst in black. Solid black back Cover plates: Black plastic Notes: Facing wood tollorance -0/+1mm
    HARDWARE & ELECTRICS Bridge: Schaller Floyd or OFR Machineheads: Schaller M6 mini Pickups: 2x humbucker. Customers own supply Switching/Controls: Single volume 500k CTS. 3 way lever Colour: Gold Extras: Coil tap.

12. MOJO

MOJO Member

Cool thanks for the info..

1 more ? , if ya please

what was the build time for your guitar??

13. Dave L

Dave L Member

I talked to Nocturne yesterday, and they said about six months... subject to change.

14. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

Ordered in February.

He makes several phone calls to you along the way to verify everything.

Never had a builder do that before. Very hands on and a great guy.

He is a musician also.

Bear in mind I ordered what some would consider a baseball bat neck. I took the neck of a Jackson PC1 and thinned it a bit by 1.5mm. But it is a wide thick neck none the less so don't go by my specs.