• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Small buzz goes away when I touch pickups or cord??

mingo

I have a gibson humbucker equipped that has a little buzz that goes away when i put my finger on a pickup or the metal part of the cord.

Is this normal, or do i have a grounding issue? I had a bigsby installed if that matters at all.

Thanks

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like a grounding issue to me. It's important that the bridge is grounded... it'll pass to the strings, etc.

I have a LP (no bigsby) that had a grounding issue like you describe. Turns out the ground wire to the tail stud was broken inside the channel. PIA, but fixed. Noise gone.

Your Bigsby should have a wire soldered to the ground of a pickup or switch wire, which extends through the body (if hollow) to the trem's mounting bracket on the bottom side, and is wrapped around one of the mounting screws. Can't help if it's not a hollowbody, but the principle is the same - make sure your Bigsby is grounded.

David Collins

If it equally disappears when you touch the strings, then yes, this is normal, the guitar is fine, and problem can usually be traced back to a poor ground in the outlets you're plugging in to.

If it disappears only when you touch the pickup covers or jack, but not the strings, then your bridge/tailpiece is not properly grounded.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
If it equally disappears when you touch the strings, then yes, this is normal, the guitar is fine, and problem can usually be traced back to a poor ground in the outlets you're plugging in to.

If it disappears only when you touch the pickup covers or jack, but not the strings, then your bridge/tailpiece is not properly grounded.
What he said.

mingo

Is this hard to do on a Gibson 335 with the bigsby now installed???

Also would this cause snapping sometimes through the amp while playing????

Thanks for the help!

Tidewater Custom Shop

Silver Supporting Member
A 335 huh? Dunno about the snapping, unless it's your body causing static on the plastic pickguard. Try strumming while purposely touching the pickguard, the purposley not touching the pickguard. If the snap is only present when touching the pickguard, try rubbing a Bounce dryer sheet across the 'guard.

Did you do the Bigsby install? If not, ask your tech to get the grounding under control.

mingo

A 335 huh? Dunno about the snapping, unless it's your body causing static on the plastic pickguard.

Did you do the Bigsby install? If not, ask your tech to get the grounding under control. If you did the install, see if you can find/trace the bridge ground (look for a wire soldered to the top of a pot going through a hole inside the body toward the stopbar or bridge anchor). If your ground went to the stopbar anchor, you'll probably have to reroute to the TOM anchor since it still has contact with the strings.
I'm guessing it is static electricty.

Ok i'll look into that. I have graphtech saddles will that affect anything if i get the ground re-routed to the bridge?

Thanks

Tidewater Custom Shop

Silver Supporting Member
I'm guessing it is static electricty.

Ok i'll look into that. I have graphtech saddles will that affect anything if i get the ground re-routed to the bridge?

Thanks
Not sure about the Graphtech... if the only thing new since the grounding issue was the Bigsby, then it's because of the Bigsby install and the fact that it needs to be grounded, or grounding needs to be re-routed. If the Graphtechs were added at the same time, that's another ball of wax that I'm not equipped to address.

Joe Naylor

Graphtech saddles are non-conductive. So you need the ground wire routed to the Bigsby, which will then ground the strings.

Trending Topics