1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Small (cheap) amp with clean headroom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Objector, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Objector

Objector Member

Since I'm starting a new post-rock/ambient band and I won't lug around the halfstack I use in my metalband, I am searching for a new amp.

I am looking for a small tube amp, which I can easily transport, but which gives me a very good clean tone and has a lot of headroom. I don't need multiple channels or a gain-stage, since I will be getting most of my tone out of pedals. So it has to be an amp that takes pedals very well.

Most of the post-rock bands that I've seen live, were using Fender amps like the Dual Reverb. But buying such an amp would be total overkill, since we are currently rehearsing in a basement and those old Fenders are way to loud.

Are there any (cheap) alternatives for a rich clean sound?

2. televox

televox Member

How about a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe? Affordable, fairly portable and lots of headroom.
    The clean channel is great for pedal users.

3. theraygun

theraygun Member

4. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

5. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

If $700-800 qualifies as cheap, look for a used Alessandro working dog Doberman or rottweiler. 40 clean watts, built in attenuator, 36 lbs, sound great.

6. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

This.

7. bradinnm

bradinnm Member

I agree or perhaps a Tweaker.

8. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Used Carvin Nomads go for around $300 and have a great clean channel. They're 50 watts with master volume design.

9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Musicman rd50. Mine is a head, cost 450 bucks. Small, not heavy. 50 watts, outstanding clean sounds. My favorite of all the musicman amps. In head form, rather rare. Lots of 1x12 rd10 combos around. A total bargain.
    MD

10. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

Big fan of Musicman combos.
    Your OP sounds like a perfect description of a MM 1X12. If you can score a 70s model with a gray nameplate, all the better.

-db

11. Jacknamara87

Jacknamara87 Member

Used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or TSA-15 combo would both be good. Check out the VHT Special 12/20 as well, it's ment to have lots of headroom and be great with pedals. All those options are around $500.

12. PGLive

PGLive True Tone will only be achieved in Heaven Silver Supporting Member

13. stratplayer80

stratplayer80 Senior Member

I like my VHT Special 6 for a smaller Fenderish clean.

14. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

Check out the demo's online of the new fender excelsior, pretty impressive and with 3 different inputs, each padded differently there is a wide range of tones available for an amp that just has a volume control, a bright/dark switch and tremolo control.

The 15" speaker also gives it a good bottom end and at under $400 mrsp.. its very affordable.. I know these are coming out in the UK soon with a selling price of £228, I will be grabbing one at that price..

15. Objector

Objector Member

Thanks for all the tips so far! I'll do my homework and check out the listed amp. I hope they all are available in Europe.

16. distorted noise

distorted noise Member

try the Peavey ValveKing 112 combo. It's a good amp for the money.