Small Class D Bass Amp - Power Amp Only?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by mcknigs, Dec 7, 2016.

1. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I was using a GK 210 combo until it started rattling badly. In the course of trying to solve the problem I'm afraid I may have broken it worse.

In the interim I got an old 2x10 bass cab out of moth balls and have been playing gigs pairing it with:

-An old Acoustic 140 bass amp that keeps breaking down on me;

-A Behringer powered PA head that works but it seems silly to use a 12 channel PA head as a bass amp;

-An old Peavey Mark IV head. Works fine. Big.

Last night I picked up a Tech 21 VT Bass Character Series preamp and ran it into the power amp input of the Peavey. That worked fine. It bypassed all the controls on the Peavey, but it has plenty of its own.

It got me thinking that I might pick up a small, inexpensive 300-400 class D power amp to pair it with. Looking around I see small Class D bass amps that have the preamp and all controls included, and rack mount-sized power amps. I don't see small, single-channel, stand alone power amps.

Does anyone know if such a thing is out there? Should I just go with a full function class D bass amp, assuming the additional cost of the preamp section is minimal compared to a power amp? Should I just keep schlepping the Peavey out to gigs?

All thoughts are welcome. Money *is* an object here. I don't have a lot of it.

TIA

2. sprag

sprag Member

This gets asked at TB pretty regularly. Into the effects return of Sml class d bass amp is cheaper due to mass production etc etc. Gallien krueger MB 200 is probably a good place to start if big time watts arent required

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

There are only a couple of compact power amp only units around, IIRC. Demeter and Jule Amps are who make them, again, IIRC.

As sprag said, it is best to just get a micro that has either a power amp in, or the effects return that goes to just the master volume control and then to the power amp. Aguilar Tone Hammer 350 and Tone Hammer 500 would be excellent choices for your application.

EDIT: spelling!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  4. sprag

sprag Member

Of course you could go after a used vt 500 amp and leave the pedal at home

5. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle Silver Supporting Member

I have a Crown XLS1000 I'm not using anymore that I'd like to get rid of at a favorable price.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Any of the newer, powerful, lightweight power amps will do. I would stick to Crown or QSC unless you want to spend big money. An XLS1000 will be more than adequate. I used a Crown XTi 2000 and an RBI for a long time until I got my first SVT.

7. mcknigs

Thanks for the responses guys. I think before I went for something rack mount sized I would probably go for a bass amp (with preamp). The idea of the MB200 is sort of ironic, since that's about what I have in my GK MB210 combo.

FWIW, this amp was wonderful until one day when it started making a horrible rattling noise. For a long time I thought it was blown speakers. I eventually pulled the amp out and determined the sound was actually the amp chassis rattling against the cab. I put weather stripping around the chassis and put it back in. At that point it didn't work at all. I think I must have twisted the chassis in the course of pushing it back in and broke something. Now I have a cab with speakers that (apparently) work and a bad amp. I suspect the repair bill for the broken amp may exceed the cost of a replacement bass head.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

That would be my assessment, too.

9. royd

royd Member

If you like the sound of your previous rig, this might make sense. I would argue for getting more power though. Class D watts are pretty inexpensive so I'd add more. That gives you headroom for your current uses and some room to grow if you want/need to later on. There are scores of good choices available in scores of different "flavors" - Peavey, Carvin, Aguilar, Genzler, Quilter, GK, Warwick, etc. etc. plus on the used market, Genz Benz...

10. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I would consider playing your Tech21 pedal through a powered PA speaker. There are a ton of value priced 1x12 and 1x15 FRFR speakers from Alto, Peavey, etc. for $300-400 that would be even cheaper on the used market.

11. mcknigs

I have a friend who did this and swears by it. He said, though, that he chose a specific speaker that was specifically designed to be used this way. I don't recall which one it is.

12. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

I would definitely get that Acoustic 140 fixed. In proper working condition they dwarf a lot of modern day amps and the booster out = a line out for use with a power amp.

Make a deal on this. :aok

13. mcknigs

Well, the thing is that I've fixed it multiple times for the same problem. I've lost faith that any more repair work is going to solve the problem for more than a few gigs.

14. Dave M

Dave M Supporting Member

SWR made the Amplite; their little Class D poweramp. Might not be too many around, and not sure if one fits your budget.

OTOH, a used MB500 (or MB500 Fusion) head might be worth looking into, and selling off the VT.

15. fe911

fe911 Member

Are you happy with the 2x10? Do you like the tones you are getting from the pedal? If so, I would probably get a tone hammer. It does old school fat warm really well. I miss mine. I bought the fusion 800 for grind, bite and punch. I also have an xls1000 that I ran a zoom b3 through, it is no slouch! So much good stuff out there.
    Mostly using a fractal ax8 through a mackie lead sled power amp right now. I'm using this to swap between guitar and bass in the same unit. Left guitar to powered monitor, right bass to power amp bridged to 2x12 bass cab. Actually, a little too complicated, but does it really well. I'm sure I could just put the b3 in front of the power amp and be happy. But, that's how I justified buying the AX8...

16. mcknigs

As the OP, I should probably update this thread.

In ended up buying a TC Electronic BH250 head for a little over $200. I'm going to try that with the old Genz Benz cab. If that's got sufficient oomph I'll try pulling the amp out of the GK combo cab and making it so I can use it as a lightweight 2x10" cab.

I liked the sound of the VT Bass pedal, though I would like to play with it more in an attempt to coax more Flip-Top-ish tones out of it. It did a pretty good job of emulating punch-in-the-chest SVT sounds but some of what I do doesn't call for that.

17. jzero

jzero Member

Do you like the TC? I've been thinking about building a guitar rig using one of those...

18. mcknigs

I haven't had much of a chance to play through it yet, and the playing I've done has been low volume and solo in the living room to make sure it works at all. I had to upgrade the firmware to make the Tone Print feature work but the effects I've tried sound good. I'll get back after gigging with it Tuesday night.

19. jzero

jzero Member

How'd the gig go?

20. mcknigs

Fine. I used the amp Tuesday and Friday at the same club. I ran it with the volume a little over halfway up and it was plenty powerful. I used the TubeDrive effect to varying degrees. It sounded like the bass overdrive I've been looking for but hadn't found until now.

Unfortunately we got word that the club, where we've played 3x/mo for the last 2.5 years, has decided to go a different direction with their bands and have no plans to book us going forward. I still have bass gigs with other bands, but not as frequently or reliably as I had with this band in this club.

Anyway, my next plan is to look into putting a speaker jack on my GK MB210 cab and use that instead of my old, heavy, Genz Benz cab.

Thanks for asking. :)

Edit to include link to a photo: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...current-bass-rig.1564884/page-9#post-23237108

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    jzero likes this.