Small Clone or Arion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by raul, Mar 17, 2006.

1. raul

raul Member

Hello all. I'm on a budget here and am in need of some valued info.
    I'm really into those warbly sounds that The Beatles got on some of their later recordings. Many bands use these sounds on balads and such. It's a Leslie sound, that i know. Some bands use a Leslie and some use a Chorus for these warbles.

But, i can't afford a Leslie!

I do have a Small Clone and a Phase 90. Both of these, when set for a fast rate, get a warbly sound.

I hear that the Arion chorus is good at that Leslie sound. I'm on a budget. Should i get the new 20 one? and use the Small Clone for chorus and the Arion for the Leslie?

or just stick to what i have and be done with it until i can afford to splurge?

2. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Im of the opinon, tis always better to wait, and spend money on quality equipment, rather than blow cash on quick fixes, that never sound worth the cash you blew on them.

3. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I've been trying to decide on a chorus as well - TC Electronics SCF vs Arion. I LOVE the sound of the Arion pedal, but in holding/using it, you just KNOW it's gonna break. It has a light-weight plastic case that doesn't even resemble durable. I hadn't really investigated the Small Clone, but I probably should...

peace,

jb

4. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

The old Arion unit is better than the newer one. I like the TC unit over the Clone Clone my self, the CC has a flangy thing going I don't care for. But, nothing compares to the wobble the Arion does.

5. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Just got a new Arion in the mail today, sounds great, and for $20 it's the best deal going...

6. n8b

n8b Member

I've tried a lot of pedals to try to get a leslie vibe, and actually made a small leslie unit, but it was too much to lug around. Recently I got an old DOD 201 that was in pieces. After I got it working I messed around with the trimpot on the inside and put a giant knob on it so I can spin it with my foot. It does a great job at emulating Leslie throb and warble without the exaggerated swoosh of a phasor.

7. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Arion SCH-1...apart from the cruddy casing, best bet. Run it in a looper so you don't have to stomp on it and it'll outlive you. :)

8. bob01480

bob01480 Supporting Member

I'm in the same boat. I couldn't really decide which chorus to get between AM, DLS,Fulltone so I ordered an Arion SCH-Z from Musicians Friend for 20.00. I thought it would fill the bill for a while. I'm no expert on chorus but the thing sounds pretty good especially the faux leslie thing. It is cheap housing and won't be my last chorus but at 20.00 you can't beat it.

9. dosmun

dosmun Member

For $20 you can't go wrong with the Arion. Build a Bypass box if you are worried about breaking it. I just got one a week ago and for $20 it is a great pedal.