1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Small Combo for use with Modeler (HD content)?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by lpaul626, May 23, 2011.

1. lpaul626

lpaul626 Silver Supporting Member

I'm looking for a small tube combo to use with a Line6 HD500. Preferably, something with great cleans, and an FX loop (adjustable loop levels would be ideal). I'd be looking to use it for rehearsals, in my studio, etc.

I've been looking at the Egnater Tweaker. I had a Classic 30, which I'd consider again but as I recall, when running into the FX return, the level wasn't adjustable on the amp? Others?

Thanks in advance-

2. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

Get a second hand Spyder Valve (it's a good backup as well). Otherwise the Mustang III has been reported to work very well with the HD500 (even without tubes...)

3. lpaul626

Interesting . . . am I correct in thinking that I wouldn't be able to control a first gen with the HD500 but would be able to with a 2nd (given the midi capabilities of the 2nd gen)?

4. hippietim

hippietim Member

Bogner Mojado works wonderfully.

5. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

Absolutely!

6. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

Actually I have been wanting to try a stereo solid state combo with the HD500 for some time now. The Mustang IV is that but it seems like overkill. Maybe a nice low-powered stereo power amp and a pair of PA speakers in a 2x12 cab?....

7. i8guitar

i8guitar yelling at clouds from outer space Silver Supporting Member

+1 I am doing this exact setup, with the HD500 output plugged into the Mustang's FX return, and just like the Mustang's internal Fender amp models, the HD500 Fender amp models sound very good powered by the Mustang.

8. lpaul626

Anyone tried both amps with their POD HD?

9. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

I haven't plugged my HD500 into my Spider Valve. I'll give it a shot here in a bit.

10. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

Used Flextone III Plus. And, you can turn it into a mini-stack when you need it by purchasing a used Flextone Extension Cab.

11. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Why not a FRFR speaker? Just wondering. That is absolutely the BEST choice if you can use the (excellent) amp modeling.

12. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Ditto... you'll run out of head room on about every option mentioned here quickly.

The Tweaker for sure doesn't have enough clean head room for a modeller against any drummer... It's barely got enough dirty headroom

A Mackie TH12 would be a very good FRFR choice on a budget. I've been using the Behringer B215D for a while and while it actually sounds good... reliability is meh... I've got 2 and one is already out for repair. And I just ordred a pair of ElectroVoice ELX112P powered speaker... should be abl eto report on that soon.

But I've been very very happy with FRFR monitoring vs using it with an amp. (I build and repair tube amps for a hobby too.. I've got lots of options there.)

13. ToddWeller

ToddWeller Member

Actually, when you plug into the efx return you get all the clean power of the amp. In my experience you get plenty of clean head room this way. You have to attenuate down the modeler. The Tweaker would be a good one to try at 15 watts of tube power (2x6V6). The Tweaker gets dirty really fast because the pre-amp is design to do so. If you bypass the pre-amp (via the efx return) it might be a sweet sounding option.

14. erikarthur

erikarthur Member

Not tube but try the Roland CM-30 for a small size monitor. Someone recommended one here and I picked up one yesterday. $200 and it's nice and small. I'm happy with it and am thinking about getting a second one.

15. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Tech21 Power Engine 60 works great with modelers. Very inexpensive used and small and lightweight. Also passes the XLR outs right on to the FOH mixer.
    I've also used my Flextone III 212 XL and those are GREAT with modelers, as they have stereo FX loop returns AND the master volume is post return, so you have easy and total control. Those are very underrated amps, they look great and can be found very inexpensively used. I bought TWO of them, both in excellent condition with the shortboards for 500 bucks.

16. gearo999

gearo999 Member

I'm thinking about getting a Blackstar combo. Check them out.

17. lpaul626

Would one be loud enough to use in a "live" setting?

18. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

I agree to a point. It sounds really great at band volumes but doesn't have that amp-in-the-room feel when you're practicing or setting up tones. If you can get past that it's a great solution. No power amp tubes though if that's what you were looking for.

19. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Going ss and on a budget I'd suggest a Peavey Bandit for a combo format and a Mackie TH-12a for wedge format. I have no idea tube amp wise, my VHT Special 6 Ultra responds nicely with the HD500 in the loop, but there's no where near enough volume to gig it as the power amp saturation totally defeats the purpose of having multiple amp models on tap.

20. mojotele65

mojotele65 Supporting Member

I have been using my HD500 thru the Fx return of my classic 50, I am using a volume box to control master vol.