• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

small, decent power amp for wet side?

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Any recommendations for a small, reasonably priced power amp to take a preamp/wet only signal and power a 1x12 with an EV12L in it. I don't need more than 50 watts, though more is fine. I have no idea what these items cost, but if I can get something decent for less than $400 it would be ideal.

Thanks

Gary Brennan

Platinum Supporting Member
Stewart PA 50B or PA 100B, half rack, bridgeable or stereo. I use the 100B bridged to drive a 1x12 cab that's all wet signal.

gb

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Stewart PA 50B or PA 100B, half rack, bridgeable or stereo. I use the 100B bridged to drive a 1x12 cab that's all wet signal.

gb

Gary,

It says these are optimized for 4 or 8 ohms, do you know if it will work with my 16 ohm ev12L?

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah - its a real nice choice. Loud, 20 watt per channel EL84 power, in stereo, and one rack space.

- Thom
Would something like this color the sound? I was under the impression that something solid state might be better if I already have tone that I like coming out of the pre-amp, but I'm new to using power amps.

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Would something like this color the sound? I was under the impression that something solid state might be better if I already have tone that I like coming out of the pre-amp, but I'm new to using power amps.
Yes, it colors the sound, and is tailored toward guitar amplification. May not be what you're looking for, but its a relatively unsung hero for small guitar rack use. I use it with my Triaxis preamp.

- T

I use a Mesa Mark IV. I like the sound better than any other power amp. Rack or other wise. I A/B it with all the popular ones and was surprised I liked it better than any of them. It has 8 voices and the EQ works. I also loop out the pre with a GCX/GCP set up. That gives me a other preamp in my rig.:YinYang

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Any thoughts on the Crate Powerblock vs the Stewart stuff...am I going to notice a material change in the tones between them?

3 Mile Stone

I see some older Marshall rack mount single space "Valvestate" amps that fit the bill. Those old Mosvalve amps, same deal, single space, solid state but not bad sounding really. Those guys go pretty reasonable on the Ebay frequently.

ManleyF

I'm currently using a Crate Power Block for this very purpose- I have my Fuchs ODS dry signal and then my wet stereo signal from my M13 going to a pair of Mesa Thiele ported 1x12's with EV's.

I've done 2 - 4 hour studio sessions so far with great results and have a gig with this rig coming up this Friday- I'll report back.

So why the CPB? VERY affordable and compact- basically its allowing me to do what my full time gigging buddies said couldn't be done- fit a dry/wet/wet 3 channel rig in the foot print of a typical 2x12.

Now, if - I had more $, I'm sure the Mesa 20/20 or something would sound better- but way more $ and more trouble to gig with a rack case and all- the CPB is very compact and sits nicely atop a head or combo, and can be used for a variety of task if needed.

3 Mile Stone

Doesn't the speaker output on the Crate Power Block have speaker emulation? How do you get around that if so?

Ian

Does anyone think that one solid state power amp will sound better than another?

I know EVH, steve Stevens, etc. use the old H-H power amps......not sure if this was a "tonal" choice, or merely a convenience one?

I use a Carvin DCM150, and it's great.....but I never compared it to anyhing else.....Bob Bradshaw recommended it to me years ago...

Cheers

Gary Brennan

Gary,

It says these are optimized for 4 or 8 ohms, do you know if it will work with my 16 ohm ev12L?

Hi LV,

just saw your question. I'm looking at the spec sheet for both models but there's no info about 16 ohm loads. I'd suggest calling Stewart at 209-588-8111 (Sonora CA.

It is a good sounding amp. Bluesdoc might have some comments for you, he has (had) several, I bought mine from him.

gb

Trending Topics