Small Delay to pair with DD-20?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, Feb 2, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Member

My first instict is to pick up an Echo Park....any pro's or con's on running these two together?

Then there's the DD-3, DD-5, DD-6 digitals and Ibanex and Maxon analogs I'm thinking about.

Or.....man up for the TimeFactor. Isn't it two delays in one...can it be used as such?

For the record, I didn't like the Nova.

2. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

i got a dd-5, it sounds great...plus you have the option of syncing the external tap tempo for both units.

3. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I've had both- bit redundant running both, sold the EP and kept the DD20 (more versatile, better sounding) which I pair up w/ a DMM. Nice analog delay and verstile digital delay is the way to go IMO.

4. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

The only pedal that wouldn't be too redundant would be to add the RE-20 space echo for some slapback or really far out delay drenched in reverb. I actually have the space echo, timefactor, and maxon ad-9 on my board and they all get used since they are so different from each other.

5. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I have a DD20 and an analog man modded dd3. The DD20 does everything the DD3 does and more, it;s just for sentimental reasons I can't take it off. I like the modded DD3, but it's not as analog sounding as a memory man. That being said, I prefer that because I need more clarity with gain.

I think a pure analog delay would be cool to pair with the dd20.

6. rul8agn

rul8agn Member

I have an Analogman AR20DL and CMATMODS Deeelay on the board with my DD-20. Don't really use either at the same time as the DD-20. I just have alot of delay options on hand.

7. jamison162

jamison162 Member

To clarify, I'm not necessarily looking for something "different" (or the same for that matter) than what the DD-20 offers to add versatility. Just looking for a quality unit in a small size to run tandem with the DD-20 to get those galloping type of delays and more of a U2 vibe.

8. abovethewave

abovethewave Member

Dr Scientist Sunny Day Delay would offer some contrast.

9. Josh O

Josh O Member

I'm on the same quest as you except looking for something to tandem up with my Damage Control Glass Nexus.

10. enocaster

enocaster Member

I own or have owned the DD-20, Nova, and Timefactor. I don't think analog would be good because the sound is so different and the DD-20 repeats would "cut" more. Any way that you do this will complicate your setup.

Getting 2 different delays to sync won't be easy unless there is a way to split a tap-tempo pedal (like the FS-5) and set both delays to different note subdivisions. Having delay 2 be another dd-20 would work because the display indicates ms/tempo/subdivisions. Personally, adjusting them by ear would confuse me and I would always be tweaking them, wondering if the times were complimenting each other.
    What didn't you like about the Nova? The dual delay settings seem to be exactly what you need.
    Another option is ditching the Boss and getting a Timefactor. The sound is similar to the Nova, but a little thicker – just different enough to make it a "keeper" for me. The problem with the TF is its complexity. It is capable of a huge variety of sounds, but requires a lot of time and brainwork to get what you want out of it, but it will do a dual delay synced to a global tempo.

11. ARch

ARch Member

Exactly this!

12. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I run an echo park into my dd-20...echo does the short delay, dd-20 does the long delay...sound great together

13. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Can you do that with a dd-6?

14. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

http://oceanefx.com/Vintage-Echo.php

As long as you dont need tap tempo. Comes in a smaller box now too.

15. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

While not a small footprint, I use my DLS Echotap together with the DD-20. Sounds great.

16. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Narrowed it down to a used DD-6 or Echo Park. They're small, inexpensive, sound decent, versatile enough. Thanks.

17. andrewnielson

andrewnielson Member

i'd grab a dd5 over a dd6 if you can find one on ebay or on here

18. oxtone

oxtone Member

I run an Echo Park into my DD-20. Both have their merits. I like the slight volume boost when I engage the Echo Park. The DD-20 is very clean and transparent, and I use it mainly for the Modulation Delay, which sounds HUGE with my stereo Boogie rig (Studio Pre/Simul 2:90).

19. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Alright guys, help me out...what's it gonna be. DD-5 or Echo Park?

Cast your votes please.

20. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member