Small Fender Combo for cleans?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by onemoretime, Mar 5, 2015.

1. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

I am looking at a bunch of small Fender combo amps. I am really just looking for that nice "pingey" Twin Reverb clean on the cheap that I don't get from my Vox AD50VT.

I tried a Cyber Deluxe a while back that I got for cheap but it just didn't appeal to me. There are a bunch of SS Princeton 650's out there for cheap and I was wondering if they deliver? Should I just pick a Mustang II or maybe a Super Champ XD or X2?

The next step$ up the food chain would be a used Princeton 65, a Vibrolux Custom, HRD or DRRI. All of these are much louder amps than I need for home use but definitely deliver the tone I am looking for. I see some pretty good deals on used HRD's all the time

Let me know what you guys think.

2. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

Princeton Reverb -Silverface or PRRI

3. 71strat

71strat Member

Fender Cyber Twin and change out the 12AX7's for 12AU7's.

4. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

A Princeton non reverb is clean all the way up... On occasion you can find bandmasters that have been built into combos. Some guys like peavey classic 30 or 50's for a twin substitute, but I don't think they do it. Twin reverbs are so heavy and so loud that they are cheap and readily available used... Pull two tubes and one speaker maybe? They sound virtually the same from 2.5 to about 8 on volume... Just louder.

Dr Z makes a bf/sf fender like clean amp as well, as does red plate and two rock (if you have extra bucks)

5. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

Princeton Reverb or (for cheap) a Super Champ X2 combo set on channel 1. I've owned several of both and can highly recommend either for what you seek. Obviously, the Princeton Reverb is going to be superior, but at 2-3 times the price.

6. e???

e??? Member

Princeton or super champ xd. Tubes are beautiful and warm, digital stuff can't compete. The only thing that's cool about solid state digital, is things like the micro cube. Just cause you can bring it to beach or busking with 6 aa batteries...

7. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

Traynor YGM-3

8. Johnny2013

Johnny2013 Member

fyi super champ xd has a digitial preamp

9. johnnylighton

johnnylighton Member

^ True, but on the "Clean" channel (Channel 1) it sounds quite tubey and takes pedals great. The digital preamp doesn't take much away from the sound.

There's always the PRRI - a step up but in cost, too.

10. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

x2.