Small FRFR vs. Acoustic amp, for acoustic and modeler

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
I've been trying for a while now to figure out which might be better, a small FRFR or a smaller acoustic amp. I will probably have another modeler soon (probably AmpliFire) but also sometimes play acoustic live. I was just about ready to buy a Fishman Loudbox Mini for the acoustic duties, when I decided to hold off because I might be getting a modeler as well.

All the FRFR talk here is about bigger, higher powered things that can replace a big guitar amp and play loud on stage. I'm looking for a 10" or maybe even 8" FRFR that can replace my small amp when I'm playing electric, or be my acoustic amp (with or without my Fishman Aura) when I'm playing acoustic. I want something smaller and I want it to sound really good, but it doesn't have to be super loud. I never play live with loud stage volumes and if I needed to do so I'd use my tube amps.

Here's a wild card. I'd LIKE it to have 2 inputs and some type of mix control so that I could do an A/E thing with my Music Man JP12. So an FRFR that I could input the electric pickups through an AmpliFire, and and the piezo's through the Aura... that might be a nice A/E rig. I eventually plan to add either a Taylor T5z or possibly a Carvin A/E because a rig I can use for either, or both would serve me well with my current needs.

I have nice tube amps for the electrics, this is a solution for A) the modeler, B) the acoustic, and C) the A/E rig.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I would NOT rely on an acoustic guitar amp for a modeler, I've tried it with a few and they just don't sound right, the EQ seems off. On that basis, it depends on how much you want to spend. Everybody from Behringer to some really high end companies build 10 FRFR speakers and many (most?) have volume/blend knobs. The JBL EON10V3 (I think the current model) seems like a good, midrange choice.

DreamTheaterRules

Gold Supporting Member
I would NOT rely on an acoustic guitar amp for a modeler, I've tried it with a few and they just don't sound right, the EQ seems off.
Thank you. That was my biggest concern, and reason I held off and considered an FRFR instead.

I want something "good." Not a cheapie, not over $1000 for a 10" woofer model. I've used EON's in the past but years ago. They were "ok." Are the new models better? (I know many of these type speakers has gotten "cheaper" or "worse" over the years, with cheap Class D amps, etc. so just asking).
If this is a solid "midrange" choice, I'll check one out. Thanks!!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Ah, if that's your budget, I'd move upstream a bit from the Mackie/JBL/Behringer range. Maybe QSC, Electrovoice, Turbosound?

dewey decibel

It's the tweeter, the tweeter always messes with the electric sound. You can find acoustic amps where you can turn it off (sorry, I don't know any models off hand), not sure about powered monitors. But I played a POD through JBL Ions and Mackies live for years, it was always OK at best, never great.

DreamTheaterRules

Gold Supporting Member
Ah, if that's your budget, I'd move upstream a bit from the Mackie/JBL/Behringer range. Maybe QSC, Electrovoice, Turbosound?

I didn't exactly mean that I want to spend $1K on a 10" FRFR. I've seen a well regarded Yamaha 12" for $599 or so. Was hopping to get "good" for a bit less than that. This is tough for me... I'm going to have to sell a REAL tube amp that sounds really good to fund this. Like maybe a Mini Rectifier. If I can't get a really good smaller FRFR for what the Mini would bring, then that's my cut off for "not worth it."

DreamTheaterRules

Gold Supporting Member
So, I was very familiar with the QSC K10 and K8. Also reading good reviews of Yamaha DXR 8 and 10, and they're about $100 cheaper used. So first, any reason not to by an 8 in either? Second, is the QSC worth $100 or so more 8" to 8" or 10" to 10" models?

twangbanger

I bought an open box Yamaha DXR10 for $499. It has three different inputs with vol. controls for each. Also a DSP switch. This was as new and fit my needs well.

terickson

Gold Supporting Member
I bought new k10s for $499 on Black Friday, so don't be afraid to ask.....
The k10s work well for acoustic guitar, and while I don't do modelers, I can say that a miked sf champ sounds great through them.

MusicLaw

Double Platinum Member
I'll add a resounding yes to the Yamaha DXR10! I got two just a few weeks ago, and they are jewels. Just the right size, weight and sound fantastic. They've also covered by Yamaha's 7 Year Warranty. A Taylor T5Z will sound outstanding through the Yamahas!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom