Small frfr with volume for monitoring independent with output to FOH

dhbret

Any options out there. Looking at the headrush/alto 8" but couldn't find the right info. Basically want to use as a monitor that is volume independent to what goes to FOH or PA.

FlyingsCool

You asked for small... How small? Why?

Not truly understanding your requirements, while I'm at it, I'll do the TGP thing and throw possibly unrelated anecdotal data out there based on my opinion for my needs and expectations...

I bought an Alto TS210 for my Helix floor a few years ago, and I'm very happy with it... small(ish) (compared to my Stagesource L2's) and very light, and sounds good to my ears...

I've now started using my Powercab+ for my floor instead, but I still use the Alto for general monitoring and I'm happy...

The Yamaha DXR series let you daisy-chain to FOH, and they have a volume control for each of the three inputs, along with DSP selections to get a reasonably flat response.

Keep in mind that if you are daisy-chaining to FOH, you want the most accurate monitor cabinet that you can get. If you have to EQ your modeller output to adjust for the cabinet, you are working against what the FOH needs.

dhbret

Thanks for every ones input. Forget the size element. I want to be able to turn up the volume when using as a floor monitor without the volume to FOH affected. I'm using an HX Stomp>monitor>FOH. Hope that makes sense.

Lele

Silver Supporting Member
I want to be able to turn up the volume when using as a floor monitor without the volume to FOH affected.
I think that most (or even all?) monitors work that way, because there is generally a link between the input and the output so that they are the same and the volume or tone adjustments of the monitor don't affect the output to the mixer.

dhbret

I think that most (or even all?) monitors work that way, because there is generally a link between the input and the output so that they are the same and the volume or tone adjustments of the monitor don't affect the output to the mixer.
So the input signal passes straight thru to the output and the volume applied for monitoring does not affect the output signal. I hope this is the case. That would make choosing a frfr much easier.

Just tested the FRFR108. The volume does indeed affect the level of the parallel output.

Took a look at my QSC CP8, and it said that the parallel out was post-gain, so it to does not provide a solution either.

The EV ZLX-12P has gain knobs for the inputs, but it also has an encoder knob to adjust the master volume of the speaker. The gain knobs will affect the output, but the encoder knob will not, so that might be an option.

You might also consider a passive DI between your Stomp and the FRFR.

Thanks for every ones input. Forget the size element. I want to be able to turn up the volume when using as a floor monitor without the volume to FOH affected. I'm using an HX Stomp>monitor>FOH. Hope that makes sense.
The Yamaha DXR series definitely works this way - I do it all the time.

Guitardave

So the input signal passes straight thru to the output and the volume applied for monitoring does not affect the output signal. I hope this is the case. That would make choosing a frfr much easier.
Yup...that is how they are all designed to function.

Guitarwiz007

Gold Supporting Member
HR FRFR108, run it balanced from the Headphone out and you can control the volume separately from the FOH volume. Works like a champ and that little thing sounds great and can get loud. I would suggest putting whatever you get on a stand however. They just sound better at ear level and de-coupled from the floor IMO.

GenoBluzGtr

Platinum Supporting Member
I have a QSC K8 that is awesome and has two channels with independent volume controls, and a pass-through to connect to FOH. Sounds as good as the K12s that we use for mains. My only complaint about the K8 is that the case is not shaped like the 10's or 12's for a "floor wedge" position, but it still sits on the floor fine in "wedge mode".

Trending Topics