Small Gigging

bigdaddyjay85

Not sure if I should have posted this in the Gear section but I have a few questions:

First: I might be becoming the proud owner of a Jet City 20W tube head that I'll be using with my 2x12 cab. For those of you that play in medium sized bars/clubs has this amp proven worthy or would it need a mic? I'm hoping it will be enough without the mic. I play with a drummer and a bass player.

Second: Are there any other music recording software progams out there that are cheap? I heard Reaper is free? not sure...I have a lexicon lambda and would like to use it for my bands next recording. Our first recording was done doing a tape analog recorder.

Third: If this Jet city amp works what do ya'll recommend for a reverb peddle? I currently use an old school Ibanez tube driver....

I played this amp at a local music store and it sounded pretty nice with my Texas Specials but I just want TUBES! Finally a tube amp thats affordable..so please don't tell me this gear is a farce and NOT good for recording or live gigs.​

Nelson89

haven't used that amp, however i can tell you that 15w tube is VERY loud...so i can't see 20w being too soft...probably depends on how "clean" you want your tone to be, everytime i've played in a medium sized bar/club though, they've even mic'd up the other guitarist's H&K Trilogy which was rated at about 112w last tube service, unless you're doing your own sound, most sound guys will tend to mic you up anyway unless you're in a small venue.

I own the lexicon lambda myself, although i don't use it that much these days, i remember it came with a version of Cubase, pretty sure it was LE4, that would be good enough to record a band, otherwise Reaper is free for 30 days and $40 for a license there on.

When it comes to pedal's i can't really help you, i'm one of those guitarists that plugs a good guitar straight into the front of a tiny terror and turns it up. The only reverb i really had luck with was the tube reverb built into my fender prosonic amp...i was never really a fan of a lot of the pedal ones...

Oh and last thing...its very rare to have a tube amp that isn't good for recording....if it's not sounding good, its not because of the amp.

bigdaddyjay85

Thanks man! I thought this was going to be a steal! My last amp I used for recording was a Fender Performer 1000...which was when they were building tube/solid state hybrids. This amp doesn't have built in reverb so I'll have to buy a peddle for it. I typically set my Tube screamer to about 3 and just let the amp do the rest (though it my perfermer has to be LOUD for it to get a natural breakup).

I think I will get this amp... I'll have to get reaper because my liscense ran up on my Cubase LE4 (I also found it hard to run, hence why I went with analog) I'm pretty computer retarded.

I'll add you on facebook.

Nelson89

Thanks man! I thought this was going to be a steal! My last amp I used for recording was a Fender Performer 1000...which was when they were building tube/solid state hybrids. This amp doesn't have built in reverb so I'll have to buy a peddle for it. I typically set my Tube screamer to about 3 and just let the amp do the rest (though it my perfermer has to be LOUD for it to get a natural breakup).

I think I will get this amp... I'll have to get reaper because my liscense ran up on my Cubase LE4 (I also found it hard to run, hence why I went with analog) I'm pretty computer retarded.

I'll add you on facebook.
Definitely chime in with your progress...recording is definitely one of the most frustrating yet fulfilling things you can do haha...and like me most people on here are sort of home recording enthusiasts, be it at varying levels, i'm sure you can get a lot of help because any problems you run into, chances are we've hit them at one stage also...

Trending Topics