• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Small grab and go TUBE combo for high gain

In Absentia

Silver Supporting Member
Seems to be so many of these low wattage micro amps these days. Mesa has the Mini Recto, there's the 5150 III, and a whole plethora of others. I need something that is going to sound good in a fairly loud living room environment, but be able to back way down and still sound good. I understand there are trade-offs, but I'm pretty OK with that.

So, what's your favorite and why?

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
You are going to laugh, but the Pignose G40V all tube combo with a single 10 sounds pretty good at low volumes, and it can get pretty loud with 2x6L6 power tubes.

lemonpaul59

Seems to be so many of these low wattage micro amps these days. Mesa has the Mini Recto, there's the 5150 III, and a whole plethora of others. I need something that is going to sound good in a fairly loud living room environment, but be able to back way down and still sound good. I understand there are trade-offs, but I'm pretty OK with that.

I have a 7 watt Fuchs and a 7 watt Marshall. Both sound great. Do you have a good idea how loud 7 watts can get? SO..............

You might want to look into these. I just bought both types:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...watt-monster-smicz-tac-tube-adapters.1748377/

Reactions: C-4

mule train

Platinum Supporting Member
Mesa TA-15

Can do single ended class A(champ) along with early tweed sounds, Marshall 18 watt to 800 style and Top Boost sounds all the way to full saturated Mesa sounds

Schweezly

Silver Supporting Member
I really like my Archon 25 combo at home, though I admittedly just got it. It seems it will have plenty of volume for jamming with others.

I think budget is going to drive this discussion a lot...

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
Just remember that lower wattage doesn't have any correlation to good high gain tones at low volumes.

In Absentia

Silver Supporting Member
Budget is pretty open, and even 1W can be amazingly loud in the room. I just need something that isn't the fire-breathing beast my Deliverance 60 is, which I have used with a 4x12 in these rooms.

In Absentia

Silver Supporting Member
Just remember that lower wattage doesn't have any correlation to good high gain tones at low volumes.
Absolutely true. It's just going to help "that" tone at more manageable volume. High gain sounds best with a clean power section and the pre amp cooking, for my taste.

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
Absolutely true. It's just going to help "that" tone at more manageable volume. High gain sounds best with a clean power section and the pre amp cooking, for my taste.
I think I'm then missing what you're looking for and how the lower wattage is going to help you achieve it?...I'm very tired though so it's probably me!

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
The DR Z Mini Z with the 4 position attenuator has put a big smile on the face of my friends that love gain.....it rips and it can do it quiet. I'm not even a big gain guy and I run it like that every now and again just because it's so damn fun!

In Absentia

Silver Supporting Member
I think I'm then missing what you're looking for and how the lower wattage is going to help you achieve it?...I'm very tired though so it's probably me!
It may be me, cause I'm high, lol. My Deliverance had been usable in the room. But, I want something that doesn't want to tear my head off when I start to turn it up and is more portable for those living room jams.

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
What's your budget?

I've heard good things about the Mesa and the Archon mentioned. Archon cleans are supposed to be real nice.

Soldano HR25 seems like a winner.

Suhr Badger? Some Bogner options?

There are tons of choices so maybe narrow it down by price, what tones you go for, channels, features, etc...

Maybe name some bands you're going for? I get the feeling that you want to be able to play metal? Around here it's best to specify that because for a lot of folks around here 70s hard rock is high gain. :)

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member

zinky blue velvet. the tone knobs are particularly sensitive.

In Absentia

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a metal and progressive guy. I like the first wave of prog like Yes, but enjoy Porcupine Tree and stuff like Trivium. I love a great clean because I'm a huge Knopfler fan, so I play Sultan's of Swing way too much, lol

Trending Topics

Top Bottom