Small Hands

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Frankenstratocaster, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Frankenstratocaster

Frankenstratocaster Member

I just can't play that C barre chord and stretch between my ring finger and pinky to play that boogie style shuffle on "Walk This Way". I tried it again,
    this morning.

2. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Your pinky is longer than mine, yet I can play it and you can't?

Something is up, my friend. Have you tried any of the advice posted on this thread? Like put your thumb behind the neck, etc. etc.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 9:59 AM
  3. The bear

The bear Member

I think the whole thing with being able to stretch is pretty overratet. It's very rare on the guitar that extreme stretches is nescesarry and in most cases it's possible to find several ways(skipping strings etc) to play things. I rarely play things that are uncomfortble to play, even if I can do it it's not something I seek, especially when improvising. For me music flows best when played with less effort.

Kingpin and chopsley like this.
  4. Blix

Blix Member

It's not a C barre really, you only need to care about the E-A-D strings.

The bear and chopsley like this.
  5. Frankenstratocaster

I have put my thumb in the center of the neck and still no soap.

6. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

There was other advice posted. That's why I suggested a checklist - write each piece of advice down, go through it. Make sure you didn't forget something.

7. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Also, it could be your hand is just tight. When I was in high school, one of the most skilled guitarists in my class had a fairly tight left hand - his hand was shaped more like a claw than a normal human hand.

My fingers tend to curve inward too when my hand is at rest, but I can flatten it without trouble when I put my hands on the floor to do a pushup, the downward dog posture from yoga, etc.

8. The bear

The bear Member

Right and if you put the index on the 6th string(8th fret) and middle(instead of ring) on the 5th string(10th fret) it will be an easy reach to the 12th fret 5th string with the pinky.

Blix likes this.
  9. The bear

The bear Member

IMO the flexibility of the left hand is more important then the lenght of the fingers. In high school I had a guitar teacher with smaller hands than me but he could reach further than me at the time. Simply because he was better trained.

BriSol, hobbyplayer and Blix like this.
  10. The bear

The bear Member

It ain't long, but it sure is skinny.

Blix likes this.
  11. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

That's actually a good point. I usually shy away from videos like that, because I never care about age, physical defects, etc., only care if it sounds good and is played well. But that one Russian kid, Anton Oparin, he's one of the precious few who had massive chops, like one of the very best in the world, before he was even a teenager. I checked out one of his recent videos, and sure enough, his playing is just ridiculous, some of the best picking chops I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot. Amazing musician.

Hudman_1 likes this.
  12. kgk9000

kgk9000 Member

13. Frankenstratocaster

Okay, young Lisa X looks like she has a four fret stretch, as far as I can tell. She plays pretty fast. It sounds like a banjo to me.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  14. Frankenstratocaster

15. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

The most comfortable angle for me to play that Walk This Way riff - even thought my pinky is only 2" - is about 45 degrees. The neck being about 45 degrees away from my torso, when I'm sitting.

That's because of the length of my forearms. If the forearms were longer, the angle would have to be bigger, so don't go thinking long forearms is an advantage.

These exercises might be useful to loosen up your tight wrists/hands: https://gmb.io/wrists/

But if you want to give up for now, that's ok too. You can always try "Walk This Way" again later, after you've taken a break from it and given it some thought.

16. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

It does.:huh
    I doubt if she could play WTW, either.
    She surely could not play the basic Chuck boogie in G.
    No sure what the vid is supposed to show in this context. There are lots of other notes to play? Yep, but not if you are required to play something that you can not play.

17. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

She can play Black In Black though (around 1:30).

She's on stage with a Marshall cab.

18. Frankenstratocaster

That 45 degree angle doesn't help much as the C barre chord is played near the body of the guitar.

19. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

The 45 degree angle might not be right for you anyway. As I said if your forearm is longer, the angle will be bigger. If it's shorter, the angle will be smaller. So "your" angle could be 30, could be 55, whatever.

This was with the guitar sitting on my right leg - I'm right-handed. Angle might be different if you play sitting with the guitar on your left leg.

20. Frankenstratocaster

Lisa X does have an ability to stretch shred. She has long fingers.

Tone_Terrific likes this.