Small-ish tube amp for jazz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by steven.rogers, Feb 10, 2008.

1. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Supporting Member

I have a Super Reverb RI at the moment and I really like it - sounds great, just the right amount of headroom. But it's way too big and loud for me. I'm not playing out with it enough and when I do take it out somewhere it's a backbreaker.

I've been considering doing a swap for a Deluxe Reverb but I'm not sure if it would have enough headroom for what I play, which is mostly jazz. So cleans are obviously the most important but I'd also like some breakup at high volumes if the situation calls for it.

I'd really like something like a Cowtipper or Fargen Blackbird but those are way out of my price range.

I have also considered smaller acoustic amps and Polytones but I would like a little more versatility for my main amp.

Would a Deluxe Reverb suit my needs for the time being?

2. Brien

Brien Member

A Deluxe Reverb certainly sounds great for jazz, it has about 25% less headroom than a Super Reverb. It really depends on what type of groups you play with to know how much headroom you need. A Vibrolux would be another option and kind of a compromise in size and headroom.

3. steven.rogers

Thanks for the reply. I probably wouldn't play with more than 5 people at a time and it would mostly be jazz/blues/light rock type stuff. And I suppose I could always mic the amp if volume came to be a problem.

I have heard some good things about the CVR but I've heard often that it breaks up relatively early which steers me away from it.

4. erksin

erksin Member

Look for an old '60s Ampeg Reverberocket w/7591As - it has a ton more headroom than a BFDR and has a nice full sound. You can find them cheaper than a BFDR reissue too...

5. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Tweed Deluxe at low volumes (perfect for jazz). Grant Green used them, and he sounded great!

6. trap

trap Supporting Member

a rivera, i used an r-55 for years. if you have the bucks, a two rock jet is small, light with great cleans. thats what i use now.

7. steven.rogers

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. The R-55 looks especially interesting - great ratings from what I've seen. Do you know of anywhere I can get some sound clips?

And I'd definitely like a two rock but that's also way out of my price range.

EDIT: Actually I found some clips on their site, I'll definitely look into them.

8. kmcmichael

kmcmichael Member

I have been using an Alessandro Comins jazz amp for a while now. It is really light at about 35 lbs and 65 watts through two tens.

9. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

I just got one of those and like it alot. I will be using it for the first time on a gig Tuesday night.

10. KCWM

KCWM Member

I purchased a Crate Palomino V32 not too long ago that I ended up trading to a jazz guy for his Peavey Classic 50. He plugged in and played the V32 for about 10 minutes, played a couple of songs, and said that it was perfect for what he did.

Plus, they are relatively low priced for a tube amp. Has a good OD channel too, but there's a slight delay between switching channels...it's the only complaint about the amp I had. But I doubt you'd be switching a lot for most jazz songs.

11. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

It really sounds to me that you just want a deluxe reverb with more headroom. The best way to accomplish this is just use a high efficiency speaker like an EV, Cannabis Rex, etc. You won't have to turn your dial as high to get a loud sound. My recommendation is the weber michigan, since its close to the old JBLs, you don't really change the tone that much from the originals, just the loudness.

12. steven.rogers

I think that's a very accurate description of what I want - that may be the route I take.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went to a jam today and decided to take my Super Reverb - I cranked it to about 8 with a semi hollow and it sounded amazing.

I really don't want to have to get rid of it, but I don't really get to crank it to its sweet spot very often. I think I'm just going to keep it for jams like that or for when I'm playing more blues/rock based music. It's great for that, but it's too big and loud for using at home and playing jazz.

I might just save up for another, smaller tube amp for jazz gigs and home practicing (like 20-30 watts, maybe less). I'll definitely look into the other amps suggested, but right now a Deluxe Reverb is looking really enticing.

I'll check out the Palomino, too. Anyone ever tried out a Traynor YCV20?

13. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I'm not sure if the palomino or YCV20 would be good for jazz. Certainly the greenback speaker in the traynor would be the antithesis of most jazz tones i've heard.

I had a super reverb for a long time and I had the same problems you had. I play mostly blues-based rock and alternative, so i switched to an ac30. it made it a lot easier to generate preamp gain with boosts (BF fenders always seemed to eat up a lot of gain and volume) even without using the master volume.

anyway, i definitely want to pick up a DRRI now because i miss the tone a lot, and need a lightweight solution like yourself. The DRRI sounds a lot like the super with the 3-dimensional tones it puts out... especially with the right speaker. And its very easy to get into the lush sweet spot in comparison with the Super. I'm thinking about picking one up and getting it modded with a cascaded gain section and master vol. (a la early mesa's) on the vibrato channel so i can use it as a practice amp without pedals.

14. steven.rogers

I've seen people complain a few times about the speaker in the Traynor so you may be right. But on the other hand I have read some good things about it too. It would be cheaper to get it and change the speaker than to do so with a Deluxe Reverb, and I'm on a budget so the price is appealing. And they have some sound clips on their site that sound pretty good (although the "Jazz Thing" clip is less than impressive, but "Oh Canada" sounds good.

http://www.traynoramps.com/default.asp?p1=4&p2=0&p_id=37

But I really do like the idea of having a DRRI, especially given my experience with Fender cleans breaking up beautifully.

It seems that every time I think I've made a decision, something else catches my interest.

I think I can maybe narrow it down now to a DRRI and a YCV20WR (maybe even a Rivera Clubster 25? :jo).

15. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

I use a DRRI, and also a Tweed Pro type of Clone. They both do well, especially together. And can blend themselves into other styles quite well. No real headroom problems at all.

16. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

[​IMG] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Jim Hall's
    MINI-BRUTE II
    This little guy will knock your socks off!
    Powerful and punchy when needed
    State-of-the-art SONIC CIRCUIT

SPECIFICATIONS

110 watts RMS active bass, mid, treble controls.
    MASTER VOLUME
    CH - 1 Normal
    CH - 2 SONIC CIRCUIT Program
    3 position Rotary switch Warm, Edge, Drive +Gain & Contour controls
    3 spring Hammond Reverb
    3 position switch, Boost-Normal-Cut
    Preamp Signal out, Effects Loop
    Stereo Footswitch jack
    Jack Ch 1 / Ch2 & Reverb ( footswitch optional )
    Lower rear panel Jacks for ext speaker and Headphones,
    Heavy Duty 12" Speaker
    Tough black covering & steel mesh grill.
    Approximate weight 26lbs
    15.5"H x 14"W x 10.5"D
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

17. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Got Tubes?

_TJK*

18. steven.rogers

I have played through quite a few Polytones and they are great for jazz only, but they're pretty much a one trick pony. I'm looking for something a little bit more versatile that has the warmth of a tube amp.

19. Robertito

Robertito Member

The Allen Accomplice is based on a DR, but has the option of running 6L6s for more power. It also has a lot of extra features, and sounds great.

20. Pakyie

Pakyie Member

And how about an Heritage Kenny Burrell ? They really sound great for jazz and yet allow some ventures into blues and rock territories... and are not too big nor too loud...