Small lightweight combo with great tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarz_dave, Oct 4, 2005.

1. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

Hoping folks can comment on some sample amps that I'll mention, as well as make some suggestions.

Now that I am set with a multi-channel amp that has ample volume for gigging, I am looking for a small, lightweight combo with great tone that I can use for in-home, grab-and-go rehearsals, and sometimes as part of my gigging rig (if I want stereo along with my main amp). I am fine with one channel, provided the clean is great (can use pedals for overdrive), though two channels would be cool. Would also like to get great value for what I spend.

Here are the amps I'm considering: Rivera Clubster 25, Budda Superdrive 18 or 30, Fender Pro Jr, Victoria, Dr. Z and BadCat. The Fender may be a bit shy on volume. The Budda has great tone but is around 50 pounds and close to $2k, while the Rivera is around 30 pounds and costs less than $1k. Also, the Victoria and BadCat are quite a bit more expensive, and the Dr. Z's are somewhat more expensive than the Rivera.

How comparable in quality is the Rvera to the Budda? Also, how does the Rivera compare to the Victoria, BadCat and Dr. Z?

Any other small lightweight combos that you suggest?

2. hepmike

hepmike Member

How about a Victoria Deluxe? Lightweight, samll, HUGE sound, sounds great clean or cranked (provided your band is not practicing at ear-shattering levels), and if you put it on an ampstand facing you, i bet you could gig it.
    Used i see them around $1K...in my mind that would be a steal...

3. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

The old Budda Twinmasters would seem to fit your bill; amazingly light, with a very high tone / weight ratio. No bells and whistles though. Usually $1k or less on the used market.

/rick

4. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

I like your concept of the "tone/weight" ratio! I'll also have to check out a used Twinmaster.

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

TopHat Club Deluxe or Club Royale 1x12 is a great sounding small amp for "Grab n Go" purposes.

6. sdlogan9

sdlogan9 Gold Supporting Member

It's hard to beat a DRRI for $550.00 E-bay.... :dude

7. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

The one the only Super Champ. Also has a direct out that can be used to help reinforce the sound.

$500-600 depending on condition.

8. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Werd!

[​IMG]

9. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

You know, the Clubster '25 could be perfect, but play one first if possible. The drive channel might sound a little boxy. It's not a major obstacle, and the grab and go convenience and features beat any other amp, with the Super Champ as a close second that, depending on your taste, might sound better.

Most of the other Rivera small combos would be sensible alternatives depending on how much you depend on weight. The one that has the lightest weight besides the '25 series would be the Clubster '45. The extra Watts are not really a problem because the master volume works pretty well.

10. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

I just pulled the trigger on a TopHat Club Deluxe from Ebay for $910. Thanks for the recommendation, as I may not have thought of it otherwise. Looking forward to giving this a try :)

11. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Don't forget VHT Super 30, 45 and 50 combos....
    Steve

12. Gerry

Gerry Guest

traynor combos.....consistently good reviews (check out this month's GP) and great price.

13. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

dave! you beat me to it! i was the one you outbid! (bastid!)
    enjoy that amp man! im gonna continue my search!

oh, and if it doesnt work out, let me know!

14. exodus

exodus Member

Yea, I was looking at that one too....

Post a review when you get it... I'm really curious about it. Also, you will have to give us a "pedal interaction" test.

15. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I heard clips of one of the newer Traynor combos that sounded great. Also, the Ampeg Reverberocket RI series are also nice amps.

Both should run around $3-400 used, if money is a concern.

16. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

Hey - estoteric Pete and Exodus:

I'll definitely let you know in this thread how the TopHat works with pedals (I have more than a few, and their all good) once it arrives (may be over a week).

Also, yeah I pulled the trigger with just a few seonds remaining on the Ebay clock, so that's why I got it. I had been considering a Rivera Clubster 25, Songworks Little Lanelei, Fender Pro Jr, and then most recently a Gibson Class A 15 watter (the latter was REALLY good, and I almost bought it). You guys brought this amp to my attention, so, I am indebted to you in a real way :)

Anyway, I am sure there will be more that come along.

Do you think the $910 was a good price? It seemed the HC used prices were 700-900, so maybe I paid a little high, though, it seems hard to find these used (I searched all over the web).

Cheers!

17. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I agree with the Top Hat deluxe. You may also try a Matchless Lightning.

18. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

If "small" is important, Matchless Lightning is sort of a big-ish box as far as I've seen.

Mine is a 212 and isn't light€weight at all, either.

19. bigroy

bigroy Member

I've had my CD for about 5 months now, a script logo with the pull boost, no fat switch. I use it live all the time, plenty of volume (we mic everything) and it's great with pedals. I use an RC Booster and an OCD with it. Just a flat out terrific amp, and it's light!! Mine's loaded with a greenback. Let us know how you like it.....BTW, I paid $800 for mine...and it needed a little attention. I spent $75 on some small repairs, and still think I got a great amp for a great price. I've paid a lot more and been really dissappointed. It's hard for me to get a real feel for an amp until I gig with it. Half-way into the first set I knew this one was a keeper.

20. Luke V

Luke V Member

Checkout the alessandro working dog.