Small Mesa Heads... which one... sorry for this old can of worms...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Webfoot, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Recto Verb 25
    Mini Rect 25
    Express 5:25+
    Mark V 25

Transatlantic 15/30 discontinued

Yikes... many choices (5) if I got their current line up correct. Just looking for great cleans and great dirt for classic hard rock. Not interested in Vox sound.

Did you try many? What was working and not working for you?

2. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I've got the TA-30 and the Mark V:25

The Mark V:25 is what you're after. ;) I could play a gig WITHOUT pedals if I needed too with it. :D

3. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

Mark V:25 all the way! I got mine a couple of weeks ago and it is super sweet!

4. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Why does the Express have a cool feature like an adjustable boost while the Mark doesnt? Bob

6. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Dunno. I have the express, because it is very versatile and sounds nice. Like any Mesa, it has a unique tone stack that takes time (and reading the manual!) to fully appreciate. Any of these little guys are loud and then some for pub gigs.

7. ToneCaptain

ToneCaptain Member

Depends on what type of tones you're looking for... Each of those amps have very unique tonal qualities... For classic hard rock and great cleans all of them would classify!

I have the recto verb 50 (original rectoverb with 6L6s, but same preamp as the new one) and love it for great cleans and lead/ rhythms. Very versatile!

8. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Really, it would depend on the sound you need. These are different animals. I tried a few and got the express, because it is a generalist that covers a lot of territory and takes pedals very well. The foot switch options, reverb, eq and boost are like a built in pedal board. I use those options sparingly but love having them. I could do a gig without my pedalboard if I had to with the express.

9. theroan

theroan Member

I'd choose the V:25 with the Recto a close second.

10. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Would say any of these will work. The V would be my first choice and the Mini Rec would be number two. Actually a Mini Rec might be closer to your needs when you say Hard Rock. The Mini Rec has some serious gain on tap.

11. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

:agree

I love my 5:25+ for all of the above reasons. I has more than enough gain for classic rock stuff and great clean tone. My favorite is the Crunch channel set at about 11:00 on the Gain setting. Roll back your guitar volume a bit and it's almost clean. Roll it back up, hit it hard and it barks with an upper mid bite like an old Marshall. Stomp the Solo switch to blow through the mix for solos. Fantastic little amp.