Small Modeling amp with line out for PA

jim lavender

What's the smallest/lightest decent sounding modeling amp with a line out. I'm looking for something for a low volume duo gig. Thanks

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member

Ejay

Ive tested the majority of them, boss, vox, blackstar, fender, owned a katana for 2 weeks. (Send it back in my mind 30 sec into the fist gig...its a toy)
A very (very) clear winner was the fender superchamp x2. Actually my fav gigging amp atm (well...before Covid;))...even use it at full band gigs with civilized drummers. Sounds great!

Yes...a tube powersection..so not the lightest of the bunch...but light enough to walk a bit or do a couple of stairs.
The modeling and options are not the brightest of the bunch....but that’s compensated in spades by the powersection and speaker quality.

The effect quality....serviceable.
Line out quality....serviceable.

In general I dare to say that most cheapo modeling amps have compromised decent speakers and powersection. Ok at bedroom volumes....as soon as the gig start your screwed.

A good alternative:
- boss, mooer and nux offer very affordable small modeling units that actually sound pretty good. Pair that with a decent amp with an effectloop...stick that modeling pedal in the return...cabsimmed feed to PA....and you ar good to go.
That opens up the option of getting a good but small traditional amp...Mesa subway maybe, dv Mark, quilter...too many to mention...choose your poison ;)

jim lavender

Thanks guys. I forgot put in my OP that prefer a combo amp as I want to use the speaker to hear myself on stage. Right now my top two contenders are the Super Champ x2 and the new Badcat Paw. Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Mustang GT100 is light, very loud if needed with stereo xlr outs. Global eq as well as great modeling and effects. Works great as a stage monitor for modelers.

Tommyd8

Fender GTX100 Vs BOSS Katana MkII - Which one Should you Choose?

Lee obviously is conflicted by this comparison, Rob on the other hand understands the differences clearly.

interesting.
Not actually saying either one of these should be your only considerations, just the idea they end up discussing is relevant to your choices.

Beydski

What's the smallest/lightest decent sounding modeling amp with a line out. I'm looking for something for a low volume duo gig. Thanks
I’m in the market for the same sort of thing. A couple of things to think about: does the unit’s line out have a separate volume control, and does it have only one cab sim or more than one?

Mustang GT100 is light, very loud if needed with stereo xlr outs. Global eq as well as great modeling and effects. Works great as a stage monitor for modelers.
Would you recommend the GT over the GTX? Why?

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
I’m in the market for the same sort of thing. A couple of things to think about: does the unit’s line out have a separate volume control, and does it have only one cab sim or more than one?

Would you recommend the GT over the GTX? Why?
It's cheaper on the used market. Runs the same fw as the GTX.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
If you like Marshall, these are killer sounding amps.. all analog. 100 watts! 2 lbs......

if you want Fender tones, these are great and all analog as well.. 2 lbs!

imho, in a different league in tone and feel than most modelers
and they both have compensated line outs to your PA
I prefer the line out of the Blug by far. But both amps sound great using a traditional cab.

JoeInOttawa

Good suggestions but this amp is just for a duo gig. Wish one of the 25 watt modelers had a line out.
That's the thing about modelers: They are much more likely to sound good at low volumes, regardless of their maximum capabilities. So a 50-watt combo should serve you just as well as a 10. Make your choice based on tone and portability as per your OP, take the extra watts as a bonus.

John Quinn

Fender GTX100 Vs BOSS Katana MkII - Which one Should you Choose?

Lee obviously is conflicted by this comparison, Rob on the other hand understands the differences clearly.

interesting.
Not actually saying either one of these should be your only considerations, just the idea they end up discussing is relevant to your choices.

They have a compressor running - which invalidates this demo IMO.

jim lavender

That's what your master volume control is for.
That's the thing about modelers: They are much more likely to sound good at low volumes, regardless of their maximum capabilities. So a 50-watt combo should serve you just as well as a 10. Make your choice based on tone and portability as per your OP, take the extra watts as a bonus.
Thanks guys. I'm gonna sound incredibly lazy but I was actually just thinking of the physical size and weight of the amp. The smaller 25 watt Mustangs have plenty of power and would be perfect for my needs if they had a line out.

Trending Topics