Small Modeling amp with line out for PA

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I'm gonna sound incredibly lazy but I was actually just thinking of the physical size and weight of the amp. The smaller 25 watt Mustangs have plenty of power and would be perfect for my needs if they had a line out.
The Mustang is 20 lbs. and you'll have a monitoring solution that will work in all sorts of situations. And is currently available with the features you need :D

Ejay

But the 25 watt model will fit in the enclosed cabinets in my music room thus allowing it to remain hidden from my wife.
Hard to argue with that ;)

25w ss amps indeed belong in a music room...or on a desk..but not at a gig..even very civilized ones.
Ss amps approaching their headroom are not pleasant to be around.
If you go ss....100w!... not much extra weight at all.

JoeInOttawa

Thanks guys. I'm gonna sound incredibly lazy but I was actually just thinking of the physical size and weight of the amp. The smaller 25 watt Mustangs have plenty of power and would be perfect for my needs if they had a line out.
The right tool for the job is the right tool for the job. I was just saying don't be put off by having more pwer than you're gonna need if the amp is otherwise, well, you know, the right tool for the job.

:)

jim lavender

The Mustang is 20 lbs. and you'll have a monitoring solution that will work in all sorts of situations. And is currently available with the features you need :D
Hard to argue with that ;)

25w ss amps indeed belong in a music room...or on a desk..but not at a gig..even very civilized ones.
Ss amps approaching their headroom are not pleasant to be around.
If you go ss....100w!... not much extra weight at all.
Hey Ejay
Normally I'd agree but this is just a duo gig and the other guy is on acoustic. I've use a vox pathfinder 15 before and it was fine. I just need to hear the amp as a monitor and run the line out to the PA for some ambient mix with the acoustic.

Ejay

Hey Ejay
Normally I'd agree but this is just a duo gig and the other guy is on acoustic. I've use a vox pathfinder 15 before and it was fine. I just need to hear the amp as a monitor and run the line out to the PA for some ambient mix with the acoustic.
Ok....it will work at that specific gig.

Personally I try to minimise gear and investment by getting stuff that I can use in various situations. In this case that may be “small enough to fit the stage and light enough to carry a few stairs”. In my mind that could go hand in hand with something that can do a club gig...or a rehearsal.

Anyway...each his own ;)

Why not a modeling pedal together with some small ss amp they almost give for free used? Mooer ge 150...boss gt1...go under 200 new...and would give you a decent line signal in situations where you bring a bigger amp also.

jim lavender

Ok....it will work at that specific gig.

Personally I try to minimise gear and investment by getting stuff that I can use in various situations. In this case that may be “small enough to fit the stage and light enough to carry a few stairs”. In my mind that could go hand in hand with something that can do a club gig...or a rehearsal.

Anyway...each his own ;)

Why not a modeling pedal together with some small ss amp they almost give for free used? Mooer ge 150...boss gt1...go under 200 new...and would give you a decent line signal in situations where you bring a bigger amp also.
I understand about trying to be effficient with regards to gear purchases. Fortunately I have a few other amps to use for full band gigs. I actually have a Tech 21 Flyrig V1 so I could pick up a Headrush FrFR 108 and run it through that as a monitor. Then I could run the XLR from the headrush into the PA. I used to own a SuperChamp XD that worked well for the duo gig but I stupidly sold it.

Ejay

I understand about trying to be effficient with regards to gear purchases. Fortunately I have a few other amps to use for full band gigs. I actually have a Tech 21 Flyrig V1 so I could pick up a Headrush FrFR 108 and run it through that as a monitor. Then I could run the XLR from the headrush into the PA. I used to own a SuperChamp XD that worked well for the duo gig but I stupidly sold it.
Yup....selling that xd was a bad call ;) Those are such nice amps to have in these times of civilized volumes. I’m thinking of moding mine with a poweramp in to accommodated a modeler.

If your tech 21 allows splitting signal into cabsimmed and non cabsimmed....id forget about those toy amps and HR 108.....its all great bang for the buck....but that’s about it imho.
Used mesa subway I say!!!....or an x2

Ill stop bothering you with my gear preferences now ;)

markmann

I've been happy with my SCXD. I've always liked the concept of the XD and X2 and I use the modeling and non-modeling channels. Effects are ok if you don't have a board but I have one so I rarely use them. I've used the direct out for recording some great cleanish tones.

jim lavender

I've been happy with my SCXD. I've always liked the concept of the XD and X2 and I use the modeling and non-modeling channels. Effects are ok if you don't have a board but I have one so I rarely use them. I've used the direct out for recording some great cleanish tones.
Thanks MM. I'm leaning towards this but still looking.

Mincer

I'd just get a Fly Rig v2...it is perfect for that. It is tiny and light, and sounds great.

Tommyd8

They have a compressor running - which invalidates this demo IMO.
I don't see any indication they are running a compressor , nor any mention of one in their discussion or in the comments section . The one pedal sitting in front of Rob other than the Fender pedal looks to me to be a Boss Tu-3 which Rob hits as he tunes up before the demo @ 5:55 or so.

John Quinn

I don't see any indication they are running a compressor , nor any mention of one in their discussion or in the comments section . The one pedal sitting in front of Rob other than the Fender pedal looks to me to be a Boss Tu-3 which Rob hits as he tunes up before the demo @ 5:55 or so.

I didn't see anything either - but I'm hearing it quite prominently. I'm kind of a stickler about demos being just a demo for the device - it's cheating to me.

White Limo

I would grab a Fender GTX50 for $379 minus whatever discounts you can find - usually 10-15%. So that'll put you under $350 with tax.

They sound great, easy to program right on the unit, small, light, durable, XLR outs and line outs on the back, and a real guitar speaker - not a FRFR type thing like some of the other modelers.

Trending Topics