Small, multi-head Tape Delay for effects loop. . .Strymon?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ZepFuzz05, May 2, 2016.

1. ZepFuzz05

ZepFuzz05 Supporting Member

I'm looking to get a unit to handle the multi-tap/multi-head tape echo sound, but in a bit smaller and more manageable package than my Vox Delaylab. I'm going to be using it in the line level effects loop of my AC30, so it has to be able to handle a +4 signal, and I'd ultimately prefer that it has analog dry through. As I look for these specs, the only thing I'm seeing that seems to do it all is the Strymon El Capistan - are there any pedals that I'm overlooking?

2. jnam

jnam Member

3. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

The Catalinbread Echorec is their version of the classic Binson multi head echo biz you hear on so much Pink Floyd. It's got 12 patterns that help but lacks a detent click on the 12 position Knob which would make it difficult to handle in live situations on stage.

Artie Fisk likes this.
  4. jwny72

jwny72 Member

The "Magneto" machine in the BigSky does this. It's not so small, or so cheap. But the "Magneto" machine is fabulous, as are the rest of the things the BigSky can do.

5. flopman

flopman Member

Big vote for the el Cap from me.

6. DarnWeight

DarnWeight Member

The TC Alter Ego V2 seems to tick a lot of the OPs boxes, namely...

- An Echorec-type mode
    - Handles line-level signals
    - Will go 100% wet
    - Analog dry-thru
    - Smallish footprint

7. ZepFuzz05

ZepFuzz05 Supporting Member

I didn't realize that the TC stuff could do multi-head or even dual delays. . .if that's the case, a Flashback mini with a toneprint for this type of sound might be the ideal answer.

8. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

I don't think it does line level if that's what your loop is. Sounds great for the situations where you want it up front though.

El Cap works great in a loop.

9. DarnWeight

DarnWeight Member

I was referring more to the Echorec preset on the Alter Ego V2, but on checking TC's Toneprints website, there are one or two dual delay presets available.