Small padded bag/tool bag

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by PhilF, Feb 22, 2015.

1. PhilF

PhilF Member

Does anyone know of something that is basically a gig bag for tools and smaller items?

Right now I gig for 2 bands fairly regularly one bass and one guitar. My rack acts as amp for both bass and guitar. I just bring a different cab depending on which one it is. I also use gig bags for each. Obviously different ones for bass and guitar. The only reason I mention this is to clarify what I'm looking for or something similar.

Anything specific to either instrument is in it's own gig bag.

There are a few things I bring to every gig no matter what. Wireless body packs, a couple mics, flashlight, leatherman, a few other smaller tools, extra cabling, and soon to be a small floor rig as a backup (thinking the Amplifire).

So, does someone make a nice small over the shoulder bag that has smaller padded compartments or even a small bookbag again with some good padding in it. I was gonna just buy a book bag, but the large compartment is too big, stuff will fly around in there and it's just generally not what I'm looking for.

Looking on amazon and similar has just proved to be too vague.

Maybe there's something meant for cameras I could use or even another hobby where small yet fragile things need protecting? Again looking for something that i can throw over a shoulder and NOT have to carry in hand. Also not looking for a hardshell case because it limits where it can be put more than softshell.

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

For that sort of thing, I have a PRS Gear Bag. Cool thing about that bag is that it has a zillion compartments all accessible from outside. It used to be available with other branding but PRS is the only one I can find now.

3. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Try Home Depot or Lowe's. There are a million kinds of tool bags out there, and they'll be cheaper than anything marketed specifically to musicians.

I use a small canvas briefcase that was a giveaway item at my old firm. Lots of sections and pockets. Similar to those sold by LL Bean or Land's End.

4. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

Check out some of the snap on tool bags on amazon. Lots of different sizes.

5. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

I have a couple that I bought from Home Depot myself, One of them is on wheels. which allows me to stack things on it, and use to haul other things.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

a bowling bag is pretty tough, has outside pockets and carries cables and such nicely.

for little hand tools, wrenches, flashlights and stuff like that, i like military surplus ammo cases, cheap, super-durable and waterproof.

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Go to any home improvement store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc) and look at tool bags. Lots of options ... size, pockets, padding ... I use a large one for all my gig gear and stuff. And a WHOLE lot cheaper than so-called musician's gear bags.

8. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Member

I use this:
    http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/bag-boogiegig.html
    The like it because the quality is really high and the attention to little details, like 11x17 sheet music fitting perfectly in the side pocket is something I've never found in a gig bag, back pack. The Mesa Engineering emblem is not a decal, its sewn into the fabric and all of the zippers have Mesa Engineering engraved into the steel, which is not of the cheap variety. Overall, its a very well thought out gig bag.

"Wireless body packs, a couple mics, flashlight, leatherman, a few other smaller tools, extra cabling, and soon to be a small floor rig as a backup (thinking the Amplifire)." I'm not sure what the dimensions of the Amplifire are but everything else has a spot.