Small Pedalboard - Vibe, Fuzz, Boost, Wah

Earplayer

hi there!

i am looking for a small pedalboard - need a wah, a vibe and a boost and/or fuzz... what would you recommend?

vibe - fulltone mini deja vibe - i think this is my favourite vibe pedal...
wah - ? maybe the teese picture wah ...?
fuzz/boost - ? sunface, fulltone 69, fulltone soulbender, ... ?

should do the jimi thing... :hiP;)

other gear:
vintage 100w marshalls (superlead/superbass)
4x12 cabs with old g12h30 55hz and g12m 75hz pre rola celestions
66 strat
59 les paul makeover
faustine phantom dx2

music:
hendrix, purple, zeppelin, zz top, ac/dc, trower, etc.

thanks a bunch folks!

2061X

I have a 2002 RMC picture Wah, a Fulltone Deja Vibe 2 (the large grey one with a foot controller) and several Sunfaces/Sunlions. This, and a cranked Marshall 2061X/2061CX gets me into very satisfactory sounds (IMHO) for the music you mention, which is/are the sound(s) I'm after as well.

An AnalogMan Beano Boost (or a Sunlion, which is a Sunface into a Beano Boost) may be a great addendum to your list. This is heaven into my cranked Marshall at least. The Sunlion exceeds the hype IMO, it is mythical! But a Sunface into a Beano will get you there as well. There are many options for the Sunface and it really depends on the specific type of sound you're after. Ge for early Hendrix, Si for later Hendrix. I have many (normal white dot, high gain white dot, red dot, TI/UK and BC182/183; they are all fantastic and I'm keeping them all!

Seems you have some great gear to start with; good luck!

delay dude

An AnalogMan Beano Boost (or a Sunlion, which is a Sunface into a Beano Boost) may be a great addendum to your list. This is heaven into my cranked Marshall at least. The Sunlion exceeds the hype IMO, it is mythical!

This.

Loki

So i would suggest the following:

Vibe I don't know anything about vibe. I don't like modulation at all and so i can't give you any hint. But: The Fulltone Vibe is to be seen on many boards floating around.

Fuzz Here i would suggest to pick up something variable. With different sounds in it. By no way i would pick up ONE kind of fuzz pedal - it will always make your head ache if you are limited. Probably something like the "Twosome" or the "Fix'd Fuzz Deluxe"?

Boost Pick something up which will fit your style. Playing Crunch & some lead with the amps OD? Get a treble booster. Playing cleanish sounds, low od things? Get a neutral booster. These do very well: EP Booster, Beano Boost, MXR Micro Amp, Ruby Red Booster (also does well as a low gain od).

Wah Definitly something to take care about. Don't hurry! The Wah pedal will be the most recognizable element of your sound and if you don't feel very comfortable with it it will sound exactly like that! Nice Wahs are: Picture Wah (which seems to live up to the hype) and the Clyde Wah Deluxe from Fulltone.

To open you up some different opinions i would also like to point you on the BudWah which is a sweet sounding wah but it has its own characteristic and the new WahWah from T.Rex, the Gull. It seems to be very versatile also i did not have the chance to give it a test run.

Summing it up Don't care which pedals are on your board! Make it sound great and nobody (except TGP) gives a sh$&!

Good luck!

Purplexi

NOOB QUESTION!!!

What's a vibe pedal?
I get this same question from Guitar Center's accessory departments, 3 out of 5 times I've inquired. Answer:Guitar pedal designed to simulate a spinning "Leslie" organ speaker, but tends to work more as a Tremolo/Phase Shifter/Flanger. I usually add "Famously" as if to suggest "How the heck did you get a job representing guitar accessories???" Good noob question though, thanks!

johann

Vibe: Deja Vibe
Wah: Clyde Wah or RMC
Boost: Fulltone Fat Boost 3, Analogman Beano
Fuzz: Fulltone Soulbender, Analogman Sunface

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
NOOB QUESTION!!!

What's a vibe pedal?

Just to clarify, vibe refers to a univibe (which hendix and trower are famous for using). It was originally created to simulate a leslie rotating speaker, but really has its own sound, which is what it is now known for. Most vibes have 2 options on them: chorus and vibrato. The chorus setting is the setting the univibe is famous for, its a throbbing, phaser/chorus sound. The lesser used vibrato setting is a true pitch changing vibrato, which sounds great to me. However, a plain vibrato pedal is sometimes referred to as a 'vibe' as well, which can be confusing.

To the OP: I use a Fulltone MDV-2, which has its own treadle built in to control speed, which I find very useful. Even if you get another vibe entirely, I recommend getting one that at least has the option to use an expression pedal.

I also use a clyde deluxe, which I love. The newer ones have a buffer/boost that can be turned on or off. It works great for use with fuzz, and the extra volume control is very nice as well. Lots of great wahs out there these days though.

I also recommend at least trying a treble booster/rangemaster clone, they are freaking awesome IMO!

schwa

If you want to get your Jimi on - I would recommend finding a FoxRox Capatain Coconut 2. They don't make them anymore, but even at a oemwhat higher "unobtainium" premium, they're a good value if you use all three modules.

The Provibe is regarded as one of the best vibes out there
The fuzz actually has several models, but all are respectable. (You can even get a NKT sunface)
The Octave is an important Jimi ingredient (say if you ant to play "Purple Haze")
Add a good Wah (I like the area 51), and you have Jimi in two (biggish) pedals.

I would also recommend a good Ge boost for the LP.

Kev O)))

CAE/MXR MC404 Wah --> already has the Yellow and Red Fasel inductors, a CAE Booster, & two trim pots inside to tweak to your exact tone.

Analogman Sunface --> get the High-Gain version. IMO its a nice meld between both Ge and Si tones.

Analogman Beano Boost

I don't really have any experience with Vibes so I can't really help you out there.

Last edited:

Earplayer

Thank you guys lots of good suggestions!!

I think i will go for the Fulltone MDV2 i had one and thought it was really good but i had to sell it. I also think that the Teese Picture Wah is the way to go...

Still trying to narrow it down when it comes to fuzz/boost/treblebooster :huh
I am running the Marshall with the Faustine Phantom Attenuator to get a good Crunch i can dial back to a hairy clean with the Vol. knob on the guitar but i need a pedal to push it for solos... to get that classic tones with a bit more juice for some shred-attacks too...

Stratm69

Thank you guys lots of good suggestions!!

I think i will go for the Fulltone MDV2 i had one and thought it was really good but i had to sell it. I also think that the Teese Picture Wah is the way to go...

Still trying to narrow it down when it comes to fuzz/boost/treblebooster :huh
I am running the Marshall with the Faustine Phantom Attenuator to get a good Crunch i can dial back to a hairy clean with the Vol. knob on the guitar but i need a pedal to push it for solos... to get that classic tones with a bit more juice for some shred-attacks too...

The MDV2 is the way to go! Uses the highest quality parts, and the parts in it are the closest to the original Univibe unlike all the other vibes on the market. This much is fact. As for the sound, I think it's the best sounding Vibe out there. But everyone has their own preference.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom