Small rack for in between head and cab?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hipfan, Oct 20, 2008.

1. hipfan

hipfan Member

Usually, I don't gravitate towards small racks, but I find myself needing one. :)

With that out of the way, here's my question. I have a H&K Rotosphere and a Boss DD20 that I run in the effects loop of my AC30CC head. Currently, I keep both pedals on top of the head and run remote on/off (and fast/slow, in the case of the Roto) switches on my pedal board. I find this system saves floor space and long cable runs, while giving me all the functions I need for the pedals.

The pedals are cumbersome on top of the head and cover the heat vents. Not good for long term. I'd like to get a small rack that I could perhaps stack in between the head and my 2x12 cab, thus allowing the head to be on top with proper heat venting going on. Does anyone know if such a beast exists? I'm an utter novice when it comes to all things "rack" oriented, so I really don't know where to start.

I suppose I also could try mounting the two pedals to a Pedaltrain mini, but I'm not sure if that would fit on top of the head properly and allow for air circulation, etc...

Thanks for any help!!!

2. hipfan

hipfan Member

Bump. Anyone with an idea for this issue? I'm even open to humorous or belligerent suggestions.

3. LVC

LVC Senior Member

4. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

SKB shallow effects rack with a sliding shelf...?

5. hipfan

hipfan Member

LVC - That looks perfect! Thanks very much.

NyteOwl - I'll check out the SKB stuff and see if they have something that fit. Thanks to you too.

6. justinconn

justinconn Member

Hipfan - what kind of remote are you using for your Rotosphere? I'm super curious what you come up with. Please keep us posted!

j​

7. wc8485

wc8485 Member

That's what I use... I set my head on top of it, no issues... been doing it this way for a good while. Its a 4 space skb shallow, contains a furman, tuner, and a chandler SDE.

8. hipfan

hipfan Member

J - I'm using the Radial BigShot SW2. I haven't found a way to do the breaker function remotely (I think there's a mod for this floating out there somewhere), but the SW2 does a great job for on/off and fast/slow. It was a little pricey for a "function" pedal, but it's rock solid with a small footprint, so I like it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  9. justinconn

justinconn Member

:AOK Great! Thanks for the info - I love my Rotosphere, and I'll probably always want it right at my feet, but I'm stoked to hear of some utility options as well. Thanks!

j

10. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I built a sliding shelf that fits perfectly in an SKB shallow rack. If anyone is interested, I can post pics...

11. hipfan

hipfan Member

NyteOwl - Yeah, I'd like to see that set-up. Thanks!

12. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Make sure you get a rack that can support the weight of your head. I have a cheapo rack that's fine for what it does, but I wouldn't put anything heavy on it!

13. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

Good point.

Since it sounds like you have it pretty automated and wouldn't need to fiddle with knobs and what not, you can also mount them in the back of an empty 2x12 cab (usually obtainable cheap or sometimes free) with a couple of 2x4s. This will certainly support the head and would be better if you wanted to keep your rig looking old school. Block out the holes with something black to keep the stage lights from shining through.

14. hipfan

hipfan Member

Yeah, good point by frizbplaya!

Rockstarjay - Very interesting idea! Instead of a 2x12, maybe I could find an old head box somewhere to use ...

15. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I'll get some pics up tomorrow.