Small, single-row pedal board that fits a wah?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cardinal, Jul 11, 2019.

1. cardinal

cardinal Member

Hi all,

I redid my very basic pedal set up, and am looking to get a more respectable pedal board for it. It's just four Boss-sized pedals and a Crybaby.

Ideally, I'd like all the pedals in a single row and to have the wah physically on the board. I'm thinking of just getting a literal board from Home Depot and just slapping them on there, but is there a ready-made board that will work?

I've thought about the Pedaltrain Jr. but I couldn't get them all in a single row.

Thanks!

2. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

Just put the Wah on the floor in front of the board.

Having the Wah on a board puts it at an unnatural angle and makes it harder to use.

3. macmeda

macmeda Silver Supporting Member

4. underdog726

underdog726 Supporting Member

I don't think u can go single row. Here is my "Jamboard" .[​IMG]

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I bought a custom sized flat board from Brady cases, I think it was a mere $55 new and it shipped out almost next day. It fits the wah perfectly and I had an old Anvil case lying around that is a perfect match to the dimensions. I just blew up this board and sold off two of the pedals, but the rest are still on it and I added a Barber GC and Keeley Katana. There's a spot in the upper left corner for a "pedal of the day" depending on my mood, or the amp's footswitch can go there if I use my Prosonic. :aok

Pretty sure you can get them to extend it out a bit to get your fourth Boss pedal on there. Price won't change much. I have purchased two from him now and they're solid.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Wolfboy1 likes this.
  6. helrazr84

helrazr84 Member

Only thing I’ve ever seen that will work is the pedaltrain metro 16 or 20 but you’ll need a smaller wah like the xotic or a Morley. Otherwise just make your own if you want to use the full size crybaby.

7. cardinal

cardinal Member

Thanks guys.

I haven't used pedals much in a long time, and last night I realized there's considerable tone suck happening. Hopefully it's only this old Crybaby and converting it true bypass fixes it.

But if not, I'm either ditching the pedals yet again or will want a true bypass looper, which means that I'd need two rows anyway (one for the pedals and one for the loopers underneath them).

Thanks @JosephZdyrski I would prefer something flat for that reason.

8. Daverij

Daverij Member

Check the wah for tone sucking and make sure you have one pedal with a buffer like the Boss TU-2. All true bypass pedals make for a very long un buffered cable to your amp.

9. J5jarod777

J5jarod777 Member

10. cardinal

cardinal Member

I'm really surprised by how bad it is. I'm trying to switch to just:
    DM2 <-- CE-2 <-- SD-1 <-- Fortin 33 <-- Crybaby

I had switched to an old Dunlop Wah and the tone suck is awful. Put back a CAE wah and it got much better.

Unplugging the DM2 and the CE2 also was a noticeable improvement. Surprised just those two pedals bypassed make such a big difference.

The SD-1 is nearly always on so who cares about its bypass.

So I'll going to convert the Crybaby to true bypass and try sticking the DM2 and CE2 in a true bypass loop pedal and hope that settles it.

And then figure out what the board would look like...

11. Skip Reid

Skip Reid Supporting Member

Temple Audio Solo 18

12. Daverij

Daverij Member

Yes, you have too many buffered bypass pedals..

13. cardinal

cardinal Member

So sticking all but one into a true bypass looper would fix it? I'm thinking the SD-1 would be out of the looper and the other Boss pedals would be in the looper.

(I assume the Fortin 33 is true bypass and the old Crybaby will be as soon as the switches get here).

14. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

man, the black direct drive looks awesome

jlagrassa likes this.
  15. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

always a good choice

16. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I hear you about wanting a wah on the board and not next to it. Another option is going to a mini wah so it's the size of a normal pedal and will fit on any board. Plus they're true bypass if you think you're hearing tone suck out of your current wah. Dunlop makes them and Wilson Effects improves on them. I remember when the Mini Crybaby was announced I had to preorder as it solved this problem for me...though I have since moved to the Wilsons which use the same enclosure.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  17. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Before you spend money on a looper, etc, just remove the pedals that'd be in the loop and listen. That is the one-buffer sound you'll get if the looper is used. If that is not the sound you are after, then the issue is elsewhere (the remaining pedals, the guitar, the amp, the ears...)

There are a HUGE number of players who have multiple boss-style buffers lined up. And they don't all suck.

18. cardinal

cardinal Member

Yeah I unplugged everything but the 33 and the CAE wah and it sounds great. Plugged the SD-1 back in and it didn't seem to change it much. Now I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to fuss with the rest.

It's not awful with them all lined up, and some folks might prefer it (it smooths out the amp), and it took me a few days to really notice.

19. cardinal

cardinal Member

Ah, i just read (from another thread on this forum) that the DM2 and the CE2 have some sort of circuity funny business impacting even the dry path, so that it's not just MOAR BUFFERS that I'm hearing, it actually might be something fundamental to the pedals. Similar to the old wah circuitry. Maybe I should have bought the Waza SMD versions instead...

20. monty

monty Member

I have a Gator that does the trick, I think it is called the T-bone.

cardinal likes this.