Small size tube amp head (Diamond?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dosilegecko, Feb 20, 2012.

1. dosilegecko

dosilegecko Member

So I'm looking for a tiny tube amp head, tiny as in under 25 watts.

I currently have a 100watt Diamond Nitrox and its EFFING LOUD. I want a "practice/recording" amp that sounds great and isn't going to make my neighbors deaf.

I was looking at Orange Tiny Terrors and Dark Terrors (I like metal!)

I also noticed Diamond released two small ones: Positron and Assassin. They both sound good.

What are the other options for the 1-25 watt range, preferably under 900$ (sorry, no mesa mini recto)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. dosilegecko

dosilegecko Member

No one has anything?

3. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

Used Mesa 5:25 Express. Great amps, cover just amp everything and switchable from 5 to 25 watts. I have the head and 110 combo versions.

4. kralltime

kralltime Gold Supporting Member

5. 3th3r

3th3r Member

If it sounds great, why not keep the rig you have but get a quality attenuator?

6. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

I just took the plunge from a Mesa Stiletto to an Orange Tiny Terror. I like the classic-rock sound it gives. Can get pretty hard too. Not scoopy though

7. strattitude

strattitude Member

Hughes & Kettner tubemeister 18

8. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    If you like your present amp, why not try loading it with weaker power tubes, such as Yellow Jackets?

I use Smicz Tads, a one watt, high power tube replacement, either alone or in conjunction with YJ's or the original power tubes in the amp to get as close to the wattage I desire.

I do this if I want to use the same amp I use live, but in a smaller venue. It just offers the convenience of different power levels in an amp that does not have that built in. I've gotten 120 Diezel VH4's down to as low as 2 watts.

9. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

Whoa why haven't I heard of these before!!! I've never heard anyone mention this!

10. dosilegecko

dosilegecko Member

Hey thanks for the suggestions but a Mesa Mini Rec popped up on CL for 750, and I LOVED it when I tried it at a store.

I liked the Orange terror series in the store but "made in china" made me shy away. I own and operate a custom drum shop and we use 99% American made parts (the only thing we get from china/taiwan are the tension rods, cuz our suppliers do, I don't even think anyone makes these in the US or else we'd get em!) and I really like sticking to my guns. UK made amps are great too!

To riposte about the power attenuator: While I do like my Nitrox's tone, especially the clean, it can be hard to get the gain channel to sound "great". It really is a good live amp, it cuts through the live mix incredibly well (I'm usually the one drumming), and recordings are great with it. But when it is alone, in my room, it can sound a tad on the ear fatigue-ing side. I think it just pushes mids out the wazoo. Maybe its because I'm not good at guitar as well. I should have prefaced this whole thing with: I've been drumming for 17 years and playing guitar for 1. Its hard to listen to an incredibly awesome sounding metal tone coming from my guitarist's Bogner Uberschall, and get excited about a small crummy SS practice amp... I love good tone, even as a noob.