• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Small Stone clone with more knobs?

Hi all - I have been thinking for some time about getting a Small Stone phaser but there are a couple of things holding me back. I have had mixed experience with EHX devices in the past and would not mind getting something with sturdier build quality. Also I like my pedal with more options (a mix knob would be amazing).
I have been looking around and I am having a super hard time finding something that fits the bill. Unexpectedly Small Stone clones seem to be a very rare breed. Anyway I am trying my luck and would be happy to get some advices.
Any suggestion?

Edit: a few weeks after staring this thread and lacking any better option I eventually decided to try the EHX Small Stone Reissue. It's nice but I am not fully satisfied, it sounds good but not as good as what I am hearing with a vintage Small Clone in YT demos. Actually the lack of control is not as much an issue as I was expecting.
A few people have mentioned getting a FX Doctor-modded Small Stone but this option is not available to me since I do not live in the US (FX Doctor do not ship pedals outside of the US).
So I am back to square one and bumping this thread hoping to get more suggestions.
As mentioned already I know about the Whetstone but it's too big for me.

Edit 2: a few more weeks later I got to try a couple more pedals, the Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser and the EQD Grand Orbiter. Both can get into Small Stone territory. The Moon Phaser has a very different feel to it though, it's very shimmery, quite nice in its own way but I don't think it can replace the Small Stone. The Grand Orbiter is very close and while it does not match perfectly, most people would not notice the difference and it does meet my needs very well. It also sounds very sweet, I like it a lot. My search is over.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
The Whetstone ticks most of the boxes but I am not willing to commit that much real estate on my board for a phaser.
I’ll definitely consider the FX Doctor option if I cannot find anything else but I’ll have to deal with a number of practical issues as I do not live in the US.

So I eventually bought an EHX Small Stone Reissue to see if this would scratch my vintage phaser hitch.
It's nice but I am not fully satisfied, it sounds good but not as good as what I am hearing with a vintage Small Clone in YT demos.
I am bumping the thread hoping I can get more suggestions.

A few people have mentioned getting a FX Doctor-modded Small Stone but this option is not available to me since I do not live in the US (FX Doctor do not ship outside of the US).

While not a full fledged clone, the Earthquaker Grand Orbiter is a 4 stage ota based phaser, which is what the small stone is as well. It has a 4 knob layout that makes it much more versatile as well.

While not a full fledged clone, the Earthquaker Grand Orbiter is a 4 stage ota based phaser, which is what the small stone is as well. It has a 4 knob layout that makes it much more versatile as well.
Thanks for the recommendation. The Grand Orbiter keeps popping up in threads related to the Small Stone so I should probably give it a try. However I am not impressed with any of the demos I have watched. It does not sound like it can get as chewy as the Small Stone.

chandra

So this was me a few months ago. I picked up the Whetstone to scratch that itch. While it does do an “expanded small-stone” sound, the real estate and noise was a bit of a turn off. However, if that’s what you’re looking for, I’d maybe look into someone who could rehouse or build that circuit for you in a smaller chassis.

The TC Helix can also do a great small stone, and has a mix knob/no noise issue.

I got a chance to try a Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser today and I found it can sound pretty close to the Small Stone when the Cosmology switch is on position 3 (Phase 2). The Moon Phaser has a little more shimmer and can only match the sound of the Small Stone with Color switch down, it does not go as deep as the Small Stone with Color switch up. This still sounds like a pretty good option actually.
I'll keep looking - still thinking about picking up a Grand Orbiter to see how it compares to the Small Stone and also considering trying the inexpensive Behringer VP-1.

Yeah, it did that smallstone thing though I really wanted a blend control and eventually removed phaser from my board.
Another vote for the Sibling phaser. As you probably know, it's made by the same guy who made the Whetstone (or I should say was made). I like mine.
Thanks, appreciate the insight.
I checked a few demos and the Sibling definitely sounds like a Small Stone but seems pretty subtle. Can it do the deep chewy sound you get from the Small Stone with color switch up?

PerFusionist

Silver Supporting Member
In my search I tried a Sibling...I’m glad some people like it but I couldn’t get rid of it fast enough. The deep, chewy quality of the SS was completely absent. It sounded thin and anemic in comparison.

As always, YMMV. Give it a shot :dunno

Jim Hagerman

Vendor
I've developed a new pedal similar to the Small Stone in that it uses OTA chips for the all-pass phase shifters, but with improvements for lower distortion (preservation of tone), and an LFO that provides smoother and wider phase shifting. It is however, only a two stage type, so the effect is not quite as dramatic. Hoping to get it into production in a few weeks...

Trending Topics