Small Stone Phaser, I love you.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by e-flat, Apr 19, 2015.

1. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I've always loved the Small Stone, for better or worse.

My first experience with the Small Stone was in early High School when my buddy scored an early 80s V3 at a Flea Market. Since then I've owned a few different versions, but I've always kept my eyes peeled for a V1 or V2 from the late 70s.

I picked this lovely beast up in Olympia, WA, this weekend and it is the best I've owned. Yes, there is a "perceived volume drop", but it's so gorgeous & chewy that I will make it work. (Pot codes are 1975, which is good luck for me... The year of my birth :D)

[​IMG]

Coldacre likes this.
  2. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

mine if from 79. best phaser ever

3. kyoungsteadt

kyoungsteadt Member

Nice! I have an early 80's model. I haven't used it in a couple of years. The color switch and cranking the rate knob gives you a cool ray gun sound.

4. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

"perceived volume drop".. I think there's a definite volume drop, not perceived. But it works for the effect to prevent it from distorting too much.

The Small Stone is my favourite type of phaser, great pedal! And the look awesome, too :aok

5. Clyde Billt

Clyde Billt Member

I have a '76 in beautiful condition.

When I first got it I started to hear it in just about every one of my fave guitar tracks from the past 30 years.

I can't get over how many times it seems to be the right pedal to hit.

6. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Next on the list: MXR Script Phase 90. It's been a white whale for me... Never owned one!

As for the volume loss... Perception is reality, right? ;) it's always been my experience that phasers which don't incorporate some sort of mild boost / volume compensation sound like they drop in volume due to the nature of the effect.

7. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

I have a version 1 like that in really good shape. I also have a version 2. The version one has a sweeter more magical phaser sound, but the version 2 has a pretty usable almost distortion-esque tone when the speed is dimed, whereas the version 1 I find to be pretty useless above 3:00

8. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Ca299-
    When you say V2, do you mean the version with "small stone" in Orange letters?

That's an interesting insight... I feel like the taper on the RATE pot of the V1 I scored is more gradual than the V3 I owned until recently. I don't have them side by side to compare... The V1 I just picked up has a nice, smooth even taper on the pot until just after 3:00. Then it jumps into insanity / ring mod sorts of sounds pretty quickly. So our experience is pretty dead-on there...

I've never researched this circuit, but I wonder if they swapped the pot taper or value from V1 to V2?

9. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I actually started going through withdrawals after I sold my V3 :) Fate shined down upon me & I scored this V1 for $70. I agree that it is an oddly useful pedal... I sat there grinning like a fool when I finally got to play it at home through my setup. With my Maxon AD80 running into the SS set to it's slowest sweep... It was like hearing a phaser for the first time ;)

10. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Funny enough, I just picked one up off of ebay Friday that I am waiting for. I have never owned one, as I have been happy with my Maxon PH350 for years. I also just picked up another Analogman modded Phase90. I have owned one in the past, and I really liked it. So, this week is going to be a phaser festival at my house.

11. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I have been eyeballing the Maxon PH350 for a couple months now. I'd love to hear what you think after "Phase Fest 2015" :beer

12. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

I've got a '75 V1 Small Stone as well! it's awesome.

13. lowerlightsmusic

lowerlightsmusic Member

I found an old MXR Phase 90 BUD box at an auction last fall. I was hoping to bid on a pedal steel, but there were too many PSG players bidding that Sho-Bud up, so I bid on this as a consolation prize. I was gonna flip it, but it is so chewy and thick, I can't bring myself to sell it. If you find one, you won't be sorry. Great sounding phase.

14. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

THIS series of Phase 90 is next in the Phase Hunt...
    That & the V1 SS should cover my phase bases.

15. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

turns out I was wrong, it's not a V2, but a V3...I bought the V1 and the V3 together and there was actually a V2 (with the orange letters) at the store but it was not working, it would have been nice to be able to compare all three. In any case there certainly is some difference going on with the pot, I can coax a few, if esoteric, useable tones out of the V3 with the Rate all the way up, but with the V1 the dissonance is just over the top in that position. The pedals sound pretty similar otherwise,
    with less extreme settings.

[​IMG]

16. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

I recently bought an HBE Psilocybe which I'm really diggin'
    I read that it was a clone of the Small Stone so I can understand the love
    The HBE has an extra switch and knob so it maybe does a bit more
    The downside is it doesn't go as fast as the EHX but my Cusack does that for me!

17. Sun Creature

Sun Creature Supporting Member

Nice score.

I had a 1980 Small Stone V3 ,that was failrly mint, I got a few years back from here.

It aged nicely that it had this nice distorted sound that only an older phaser could make. The bypass was horrible though and instead of sending off to Analogman to mod, I sold it. Big mistake.

I currently have the big box reissue they did before they did the nano. It is pretty good, not that much of a volume drop.

It is the phaser tone I prefer. I just do not dig the MXR phase pedals outside of the 45 or the 100.

18. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

I love the Small Stone. I have a big green Sovtek one - I love it.

19. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

I love the Small Stone too! The early V1 & V2's. I have several variations, but those ones are just magical. I keep it in a bypass loop, so as not to suck.

It's a criminally under-appreciated circuit by builders, IMO.

20. SmallStones

SmallStones Supporting Member

Big fan of the Small Stone (duh). I can track where I really got the pedal bug back to buying a small stone. And though a phase 90 also sounds great with a Rhodes, you will only get that beautiful Richard Tee sound with a Small Stone. If you own a Rhodes and don't yet have a Small Stone, you have a very memorable NPD still in your future.