small tube amp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slowburn, Feb 1, 2006.

1. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

which small tube amp (combo or head, boutique or not boutique) is versatile enough to sound good with all types of guitars in the sense that it has eq that can be tweaked to suit single coils, humbuckers, and/or p90s. type of music would be rock n' roll (is that vague enough?). must have a good clean, hopefully can get some hair on the clean before the amp gets too loud, and any gain stuff can be handled by a pedal. if it's a combo, thinking low watts with probably just 1 speaker.

2. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

The Karmen Ghia, or the Maz Jr. would be my choice.
    On the lower wattage scale, I just played through a Mini Cat II with the larger speaker and cabinet, sounded great. May not have the headroom for you.
    The Cub II is also a great choice but more $$.
    All PTP wiring and not tons of money.
    Hope this helps.

3. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

deluxe reverb reissue, is the best bang for the buck smallish tube amp IMHO. it has an excellent clean tone, excellent tube reverb, it takes boosters well, it makes a great practice & gigging amp(for club gigs), I owned one for 5 years and it was pretty low maintence(replaced the lamp socket), though it does not have ptp wiring, but it is made correctly for a pcb amp(flying leads to the tube sockets. anyways, it's at least worth trying one at JoeGuitarshop. used they go for a bit over $500-$600ish.

if you're interested in this amp, you should look for one with the jensen speaker, they sound a bit better on the low end than the older eminence equipped deluxe reissues.

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Emery Sound. :AOK

5. asdf

asdf Member

Whats your price range?

6. slowburn

price range probably topping off in the $700 area, so most of your suggestions fall within that category. I forgot to add one thing I'd like to keep it max 35lbs cause my practice area varies from upstairs to downstairs depending on if the kid is asleep, if my wife is working at home, etc.... thanks a lot. I've inquired about similar amps before, just looking for some new takes.. (gosh I hope that tax return comes through.)

7. dbx

dbx Member

8. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

older ampegs, sf champs, maybe sf princetons (no reverb, it tacks on a coupla bills usually), i think maybe we've gone thru this before, huh? haha. just to be clear, tho, that's around 7 bills including tax, right? i'll have a look-see @ my buddy's shop up here, he's usually got some killer stuff layin' 'round. good hunting!

9. slowburn

yeah $700 would be including tax, but only of certain various items get sold. that is, I do not have the cash right now. if my plan works out, I won't even need my tax return, cause frankly I need that to help pay down the credit card now that I'm looking at my statement.

10. soulohio

soulohio Member

i have a mint reverend goblin 5/15 that I am selling. You can move an armful of those things all day without breaking a sweat....pm or soulohio@netscape.net

11. slowburn

I have a mint condition men's movado watch in case anyone wants to buy that. (it's worth a shot).

12. soulohio

soulohio Member

what model is the watch?

13. slowburn

let me PM you the details, since I don't want this thread to get locked for posting a for sale ad in the wrong section.

14. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I know I sound like a broken record, but the Fuchs Lucky 7 sounds like the amp you're describing in your initial post. The tone stack is the best feature of the L7 IMO, and I can't believe how light mine is. Packs a lotta punch in a small package!

15. slowburn

yeah I've been looking at that amp in the last few days. I really am liking the specs. broken record? you haven't posted on this thread. feel free to gush away. I may have to save up more money for a separate cab if I can swing the lucky 7.

16. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

If you search for Lucky 7 you'll find various threads where I've been singing the praises of this great little amp.....that's the broken record part!

I just can't say enough about how much I like it! I run mine into various cabs. One 2x12 with Mesa MC90's (my favorite), another 1x12 with an MC90, or a Zinky 2x12 with C Rex's in it and they all sound wonderful. It's just a joy to play with this amp!...and I own a Maz 18 Jr, which is a great amp too, but the L7 has been doing way more shows than any of my amps. I really like that, although it's only a 7 watt amp, it's extremely giggable......something I can't say about the other "mini" amps I tried. (BadCat, MiniMat, Little Lanelei). They all sounded like toys compared to the Fuchs....even with extension cabs.

17. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

You know, maybe I should buy one of these Fuchs Lucky 7's. Who had good prices on these? Anyone?

18. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I might be interested in selling my Torres princetone. It's basically a hand-wired princeton reverb but with 2 EL84 output tubes running class a, cathode biased. Single 10" jensen c12q speaker, slightly smaller cabinet than a fender princeton reverb.

19. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I bought mine from Junior's. I know he won't be up and running right away after the fire, but I received terrific service and a fair price, as always! You might check Andy's site for a dealer near you.

20. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

ok- an unorhodox suggestion but a good one. I used to have a Univox U-45B tube amp. Jensen 12 inch speaker, great tone with single coils and humbuckers. Light weight, about 10 watts so decently loud for a practive amp. Mine was from 65. Just nice blues tone and really nice bass response with the 12 inch jensen and open back cab. Wattage is low enough not to worry about frying the jensen, mine sounded great after 40+years. Most are in dire need of a cap job, which is easy on these. Amp has tremelo too. You can score one for 75-200$ on Ebay.