Small Tube Combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Baker4, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Baker4

Baker4 Member

First off I'd like to apologize for posting what must be a commonly asked question, but I couldn't find anything definite while searching the past threads...

Currently I have a Peavey Classic 30 and overall I think it is pretty decent, my one complaint is that it seems to be severely lacking high's. Originally I thought this would dissipate as the speaker broke in, but it did not. One year later I am back on the amp market.

I would like to keep it under $400 US used. I want an amp for at home use as well as on occasional (quiet) jam. I really desire a sparkly, punchy clean tone and then a good low-medium gain breakup as I crank the amp. I definetly do not need any Marshall+ gain levels.

Currently I'm considering:
    Fender Blues Junior
    Fender Pro Junior
    Crate Palomino V16
    Peavey Delta Blues 2x10

I'm posting here for recommendations of amps I've either overlooked or do not know about. I am a tube snob :moon so please don't suggest any modelling/SS amps.

Thanks for the help guys,
    Darren

2. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

carvin vintage 16. $399 new, used for less. check out sound clips on the carvin site.

3. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

blues jr.'s sound good w/a changed speaker.

4. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

Musician's Friend has a Blues Jr. right now in their clearance center.

Jet

5. skrzyp

skrzyp Supporting Member

Epiphone valve series?

6. Baker4

Baker4 Member

What about a Champ II? They're below my budget and I've read some good things about them, do they fit my criteria? How do they compare to other Champs and are any other Champs in my prince range?

7. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Champ II's are excellent amps,but they need to be in good service condition to sound good.The tubes are oddballs and hard to find sometimes.
    The speaker can be a source of poor tone if it's worn out.If you get one in good sonic condition it is a very nice amp.A keeper as far as I'm concerned.

8. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

champ IIs are hard to come by. months ago I was on the lookup on ebay and craigslist and on here, and never lucked out. I think it's cause they only made them for like a year or two.

9. mbratch

mbratch Member

The newer Blues Jrs and the Pro Jrs are good in the crisp, chimey highs department.

10. whitehall

whitehall Member

A HUGE vote for the Palomino V16. Also the Hiwatt custom 20 tube from overseas. The Hiwatt is a disco but can still be found new for 400-425. Not very versatile but a cool amp.

11. calieng

calieng Member

Put a Celestion G12H30 in the V16 and you've got a really nice sounding amp. It's the perfect speaker for that amp.

12. amper

amper Member

Try an Ampeg Jet II J12R or J12T. I picked one up (J12R) for $300 used awhile back, but returned it when I bought my F-50. If I'd had the extra money, I would have kept the Jet.

13. epluribus

epluribus Member

Have you checked out the old Valco and Gretsch-era small tube amps? They tend to be relatively obscure, fairly inexpensive, common, and great conversation pieces. Oh yeah, many of them sound great on the coffee table or mic'd.

--Ray

14. mischultz

mischultz Member

I like the Ampegs as well as a viable alternative (not better, just an option not many seem to consider) to the Classic 30/Blues Jr.

The other piece you can keep an eye out for is the ADA Rocket A10. They come up occasionally in that range, and while they're definitely lower power amps than the others in your list, I *love* mine and it cleans up well. Very chimey, dynamic, all the things a small combo ought to be.

Michael

15. Baker4

Baker4 Member

Can anyone comment on how well the Crates take pedals?

Found a 90's Ampeg Jet II J12R for sale in...the actual classifieds of all places. :smack: Can anyone fill me in on how these little ampegs sound? Clips would be nice as well.