"Small" Volume Pedal Search...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GTRJohnny, Feb 3, 2008.

1. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Is the Ernie Ball Jr Volume Pedal the smallest? I'd like to find the best volume out there, and I'd love one even smaller. Any suggestions appreciated...

Also, I am running it after my pedal board. So, should I get the 25K version or something else? What's the difference? :confused:

2. jb70

jb70 Member

the only 2 that i know of is the ernie ball jr. and this boss:

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/FV-50L/

i had a couple of the boss pedals and they ended up breaking fairly often. i have had the ernie ball jr. on my board for the last 2 years and have had no issues with it at all.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

DOD FX17 (no longer produced) is way smaller.

4. musicman1

musicman1 Member

The small Boss volume pedals are junk...stay away from them. Go with the EB Jr. 250K pedal if you want a smaller sized pedal.

5. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

EB seems to be the only one. No "boutique" makers seem to do better. I had heard that I should be using the 25k one for following my pedal board. Is this true? :confused:

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

if you have buffers in your pedals, then yes, you should be using the 25k version after it. first i've heard of mechanical troubles with the small eb pedals, they look like they're built just like the big ones (my eb 25k jr works just fine.)

7. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I've read the recent posts about the 25K versus the 250K for use after buffered pedals. Does it really make any practical difference using a 250K at the end of a chain? I've had mine (250K) at the end of the chain for years and it weems to work fine. I thought the 25K's were for line levels or active pick-ups. True?

8. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Wouldn't it make sense to cover yourself by using a 25k, in case you were to add a buffered pedal? Is there a downside to a 25k vs. a 250? :confused:

9. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I'm thinking that a 250K can go at the front or end of a board so it's more versatile if you want to configure the board different.

My board has buffered pedals on it and the 250K seems to work fine (my VP is actually in the middle of my signal chain). My belief is that a buffered signal can/should drive a 250K no problem.

10. jb70

jb70 Member

11. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

12. r080

r080 Member

yup yup yup

The converse is also true: A non-buffered signal could have problems driving a 25k.

13. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

25K volume pedal + unbuffered signal = major tone suck

14. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

if you run through anything with a buffer or any pedal that boosts the signal, your signal is active (no "close" about it). an active pickup is just a pickup with the buffer built right into it. just like the pots in an emg-equipped guitar are 25k, you want a 25k volume pedal after any buffered pedals to get a good sweep from 0 to 10.