"Small" Volume Pedal Search...

GTRJohnny

Is the Ernie Ball Jr Volume Pedal the smallest? I'd like to find the best volume out there, and I'd love one even smaller. Any suggestions appreciated...

Also, I am running it after my pedal board. So, should I get the 25K version or something else? What's the difference? :confused:

musicman1

The small Boss volume pedals are junk...stay away from them. Go with the EB Jr. 250K pedal if you want a smaller sized pedal.

GTRJohnny

The small Boss volume pedals are junk...stay away from them. Go with the EB Jr. 250K pedal if you want a smaller sized pedal.

EB seems to be the only one. No "boutique" makers seem to do better. I had heard that I should be using the 25k one for following my pedal board. Is this true? :confused:

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
if you have buffers in your pedals, then yes, you should be using the 25k version after it. first i've heard of mechanical troubles with the small eb pedals, they look like they're built just like the big ones (my eb 25k jr works just fine.)

Axekisser

I've read the recent posts about the 25K versus the 250K for use after buffered pedals. Does it really make any practical difference using a 250K at the end of a chain? I've had mine (250K) at the end of the chain for years and it weems to work fine. I thought the 25K's were for line levels or active pick-ups. True?

GTRJohnny

I've read the recent posts about the 25K versus the 250K for use after buffered pedals. Does it really make any practical difference using a 250K at the end of a chain? I've had mine (250K) at the end of the chain for years and it weems to work fine. I thought the 25K's were for line levels or active pick-ups. True?

Wouldn't it make sense to cover yourself by using a 25k, in case you were to add a buffered pedal? Is there a downside to a 25k vs. a 250? :confused:

Axekisser

Wouldn't it make sense to cover yourself by using a 25k, in case you were to add a buffered pedal? Is there a downside to a 25k vs. a 250? :confused:

I'm thinking that a 250K can go at the front or end of a board so it's more versatile if you want to configure the board different.

My board has buffered pedals on it and the 250K seems to work fine (my VP is actually in the middle of my signal chain). My belief is that a buffered signal can/should drive a 250K no problem.

r080

I'm thinking that a 250K can go at the front or end of a board so it's more versatile if you want to configure the board different.

My board has buffered pedals on it and the 250K seems to work fine (my VP is actually in the middle of my signal chain). My belief is that a buffered signal can/should drive a 250K no problem.

yup yup yup

The converse is also true: A non-buffered signal could have problems driving a 25k.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
When I drive the guitar signal hard with a booster preamp, how close am I to an active signal?
if you run through anything with a buffer or any pedal that boosts the signal, your signal is active (no "close" about it). an active pickup is just a pickup with the buffer built right into it. just like the pots in an emg-equipped guitar are 25k, you want a 25k volume pedal after any buffered pedals to get a good sweep from 0 to 10.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom