• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Small Voxy Combo EL84s and Tremolo, suggestions?

shanetram

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for a 5-15 (1 or 2 el84s) watt small tube combo with Tremolo. 1x12 or 1x10 would be good 2x10 could work if it was compact. I'd like something smaller than an AC15 and I'd love to keep it under $750. Looking more for voxy clean/chime/grind than crunch or high gain.
What's out there?

Thanks!

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I know you specified combo but the new Vox Nightrain and a trem pedal will run you under $750 new (assumes you have a cab already to run them through).

farlowhigh

Goodsell Super 7...beautiful voxy cleans with plenty of chime and charm...the tremolo is a bit subtle and will add to the cost and so I would probably advise getting the basic Super 7 and then adding a tremolo pedal...very compact cab that gets a big sound...clearly built really well...not all that much gain on tap and so you would probably want to use pedals for any seriously gainy sounds...

I have seen them used for 800 around here (as a combo)..the combo only costs 999 new direct from Goodsell's website...definitely a great bargain!

Eric

shanetram

Silver Supporting Member
Great suggestions so far. I'm definitely look for a combo with trem built in.
Any others?

rhythmrocker

1966 Battle of the Bands
How about this Crate V18 for 199.00? Just send him an extra 50.00 to ship it to you.
http://nh.craigslist.org/msg/1036312539.html

Here's one for $150.00 - again, for the extra, have it shipped to you.
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/1017876117.html

or here:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/1028949897.html

or this one in Charleston:
http://charleston.craigslist.org/msg/1054792861.html

just get a trem pedal and add to taste - good luck.

BTW - I have a V30 head w/4 EL84's and love that chimey thing on the low-five. Can ya dig it?

shanetram

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, but again, I want the trem on board. I much prefer that to a trem pedal (I've been through quite a few).

Laney Lionheart maybe or is that too gainy to do the vox-esque chime?

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Look into the '64/'65 Thomas Organ VOX tube amps, like the V101 Pathfinder or the Pacemaker. EL84 power tubes for a clean Beatles chime, but the 12AX7 pre will help you grind up top. Used ones are in your price range.

BCJek

If you can locate one, a late 60's, early 70's vintage Traynor YGM-3 is a great find. Reverb and trem, closed back, 2xEL84. Physically bigger than it needs to be, but part of that is the closed-back speaker portion of the combo.

Michael

Thanks, but again, I want the trem on board. I much prefer that to a trem pedal (I've been through quite a few).

Laney Lionheart maybe or is that too gainy to do the vox-esque chime?
I was thinking more along the lines of a VC30. I have one, sounds really nice and chimy like an AC30. You could get a nice tremolo pedal, I guess.

Oh, and the VCs are handwired. :)

shanetram

Silver Supporting Member
Again thanks to all but as the original post says I want something smaller than an AC15 with built in trem.

I actually just had an idea that a Fender Vibrochamp or Bronco with weber 8" blue pup and maybe a thd yellow jacket could be a cheap and fun project to get me close to what I'm looking for.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I probably wouldn't pick a Vibrochamp for clean tone, although low level grind is very cool. I'd actually recommend the Traynor Guitarmate as well. They run in the $300-400 range, and will increase in value. They have a cool, choppy style trem, reverb and a loud 15w for great clean tones. Switching to a pair of vintage EL84s (Mullard) gave it more grind and less clean overhead than the original american 6BQ5s. Other amps I've owned that'd do the job:
Epiphone EA28/Gibson GA28RVT-reverb, tremelo, EL84s, $500-600
Kalamazoo model 12-reverb, tremelo, kind of a trashy overdrive, upgrade the speaker $250
Magnaton 112 combos: often come with 6V6s, but occaisionally with EL84s, but the trem makes it absolutely worth the money ($400) and you could use Yellowjackets.
SF Deluxe Reverb or Vibrolux: both in the $800 range in good shape, use a pair of YJs for a great sound.

As you can tell, I"m a big vintage booster: the things are bullet-proof when maintain, keep their value and sound great...

Steven_K

I don't think you're going to find much better with built in tremolo than an AC15 in that price range.

shanetram

Silver Supporting Member
Original post says I'm looking for something smaller than an AC15 so while I appreciate the suggestions, an AC15 is not smaller than an AC15 ;)

Trending Topics