Small woofer - FRFR - Opinion?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Lele, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Lele

Lele Member

Can you share your opinion and experience about FRFR amps with small woofer for a guitar modeler?
    I'm interested in the Montarbo MT160A, it's a 80W small powered cab with a 6.5" woofer, with a coaxial speaker cone. It's very light and portable!
    I would use it as a floor monitor both in the the rehearsal room, and on the stage for live gigs.

Unfortunately I can't find one to try.
    My main questions are:
    - does a small speaker enhance the high freq too much, so that at the end I risk to edit my tones with a dark sound (or with a lot of bass freq) that have to be re-adjusted when playing live with a PA system?
    - is the small woofer too limiting in a (very) small reahearsal room for the other band players to hear me? In this case I could connect the amp output to the mixer too, that now we just use for the singer's mic.

2. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

In my experience I was not able to get a sound that I liked below 8", but I don't know at all this specific Montarbo model

3. Lele

Lele Member

Thanks Guitarnet for your comment.
    By the way, I have just found out that the old Gallien Krueger 250ML amps that were so famous in the late 80es or early 90es had two 6.5" speakers!
    I remember it was the first period I looked at guitar players in the bands because I started playing in that period. And even more, in some gigs in that period I used a wonderful Rockman XP100 (I loved its sound) that my guitar teacher lent to me, and it had two 6.5" speakers too!
    So, maybe, it means that when I saw that small Montarbo amp with a lot of interest few days ago, subconsciously I had some nostalgia about the time when I was younger... and now I'm even more curious about it!

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have an FBT verve 8ma it works great with the Kemper, but I Would not go any Smaller.

5. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

It's a teensy underpowered little thing that will definitely not do any of what you're looking for.

I'd be looking at something with a 12" woofer, a horn mid/high and at least 350W RMS (not "peak" or "max") of power. We have that kind of speaker available to us here in the US, weighing under 30 lbs, for under $300.

6. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I tried playing an AxeFx through my 250ML. After about ten seconds, I realized that it had nothing under about 100hz.