Small World Stories

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by NormH3, Mar 16, 2015.

1. NormH3

NormH3 Member

I have several, but one just occurred today. Genealogy is one of my other hobbies and I belong to some web sites and FB pages that are used to find information. One of the FB pages I follow concerns Maryland Genealogy. People post questions and information that deal with their ancestors from or in Maryland.
    A gal recently posted a couple surnames, one of which was familiar to me although not in my line, so I asked what she was looking for specifically. After she replied, I did some research and came up with some interesting info. Her grandparents lived down the street from my great grandparents in the 1920's in Baltimore. Actually, I also lived on the same street after I was born. They are also buried in the same cemetery. Interesting how fate can toss a couple people together...or is it something else. MUHAHAHAHAHA :)

2. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

My small world story.

I met my wife online. Both of us had online dating profiles with wide geographic areas, me all of the immediate 10 million person metro area, her a radius out 50 miles to neighboring cities, so maybe 15 million people.

We lived on the same block when we met. Didn't know this until the third date or so when we went back to her place.

Further, she was born and raised in Connecticut and me in Tennessee, but she went to undergrad in Tennessee and her best friend was my friend in high school. Extra small world since my high school had a graduating class over 300.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

We were at a tiny pizza place in Florida - one outside table, order at the window.

Two guys and a girl walk up and order, while we were waiting. One of them mentioned the town we live in.

I asked him - "Did you just say "XXX XX?"

He said - "Yup, we were born and raised there!"

This is a town of 5000 in upstate NY.

4. Bankston

Bankston Member

My dad's cousin was a prominent car dealer in the DFW Metroplex.

My brother went into the car business. I became a lawyer.

After my dad's cousin died, the family sold the dealerships to a large corporate dealer which kept the family name and branded all of their dealerships in the Metroplex with my last name (until a recent re-branding).

My firm started representing the corporate dealer about 10 years ago, so whenever I went to court for the DFW dealerships, I was defending my family name.

5. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I'm from a smallish city in Tennessee. I was playing Black Jack in Vegas, and a friend of mine from here sat down at an open seat. He had moved to Texas a few years prior and I hadn't seen him in several years. Odd.

6. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Bought some tix for a Rush concert in Vegas from a guy selling two for his friends who couldn't make it. He, his wife, Mrs. Lee and I all sat together, chatted a lot, turned out they were from Phoenix too and we stayed in touch. On the next Rush tour, we forgot to coordinate, went to Vegas, bought great floor seats at box office just before the show. We then ran into this couple on the floor while milling around before the show. We chatted a while and then decided to head to our seats. Turned out our seats were together again, four in a row. They had bought their tix months earlier.

7. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

That's a good one.

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

When I was in the Army two guys in my unit went to the same high school but didn't know each other in high school.

A guy in the same unit was from the same town I'm from, and I went to hunter's safety class with his little brother.

After 8th grade a kid moved out to California. A year or so later my family went to Disney and ran into him and his little brother.

My favorite- In LAX, somewhere around 15 years ago, a guy was walking around a friend and I, stopped my friend and asked- "is that the guy who played guitar for (my old band)"? I'm a ****ing rock star.

9. Wolfgangsta

Wolfgangsta Member

When I was a kid, my dad took a job with an oil company and we moved to Mallorca, Spain. He worked with a guy who lived two floors above us in the small, 12 unit apartment building. One day he randomly asked my dad where he was from. Turns out they lived about 3 doors down from each other in a small (pop. about 3000-4000) town in western Kansas when they were in grade school. Freaky!

10. Triton76

Triton76 Member

A guy I used to work with was an avid cyclist. He was first on the scene and basically saved the life of a woman I went to college with who had just been in a serious bicycle accident. I saw this unfold via facebook. Strange.

11. richt

richt Member

I flew to London from San Francisco in June 1992 to attend my friend's wedding. Landed at Heathrow and then was taken to Oxford where the wedding was to be the next day.

Went out for lunch just before the wedding at this little pub outside Oxford, and sat at a table right next to a guy who had been sitting one row over from me on the plane the day before! We both recognized each other and were amused at the coincidence!

cheers,

richt

12. theroan

theroan Member

I'm from Toronto, went to San Francisco for a wedding. Ran into a high school friend at fisherman's warf.

That's the biggest one, it seems that I'm constantly running into someone I know in weird places.

13. spamassassain

spamassassain Member

Worked at Epcot Center one summer in the mid-80s and hung out with a girl from Italy for a while. About 6 years later, I was going to school in LA and went to a party thrown by some foreign students. Talked to a girl there from Italy and asked her where she was from, she said "Milan". So I said "long shot, but do you know Elisa Berardi?" Turned out the two of them had been on a swim team together.

14. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I saw some friends in London about a year ago. I saw my cousin in the middle of Times Square. I've had friends/friend's parents on the same flight as me.

15. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

Senior year at Brentwood, CA hs. I happen to mention to a fellow classmate that it was my birthday. He said that was odd because it was his, too. He was one year older. So, I asked where he was born. Santa Paula. So was I. I jested that we must have then had the same Dr. A Dr. Strong. Indeed, he said. Dr. Strong. So, one year apart we were both born in the same hospital with the same Dr. and went to the same hs. And, no, we were not bff.

16. 6inline

6inline Member

I walked into a local pub here in north Jersey for the regular open mic night and took the last open seat at the bar, next to a couple about my age. Small talk ensued and I mentioned I had grown up in south Florida.

Oh, what part?, the guy asks
    --West Palm Beach area, I said.

What high school did you go to?
    --Palm Beach Gardens, I say, wondering if I should know this guy or possibly his wife.

Very next question:
    Did you know a guy named Corky?
    I only knew one guy named Corky in my life, and I sensed this discussion was about to take an uncomfortable turn.

He then tells me, "I had a roommate in college named Corky and he went to that same high school around the same time as you. There was an incident there that he didn't like to talk about, but that troubled him the entire time I knew him. Once, when we were drinking, he told me the story about Robin."

By now, I had cold chills - and very mixed feelings about revisiting this chapter in my life, by now over 30 years behind me. I listened to his re-telling of Corky's version of events and confirmed they were consistent with my own recollections.

I found it a bit surreal to be having this conversation, summoning memories and emotions I had not visited in quite some time, with two perfect strangers in a bar in New Jersey. I was shaken by it. Ambushed, really.

I told them that Robin was my brother's best friend and possibly the most liked kid in the school. He was a year older than me. We joined the diving team (springboard) together as a goof because we both liked to show off at the pool and had, even by then as a freshman and a sophomore, begun to explore diving (and showing off) in ever increasing thrill-seeking contexts.

We pool-hopped every beachside hotel/motel that had a board, putting on a quick show before retreating to the beach ahead of security personnel. It wasn't long before we started on the local drawbridges. These were only 30 to 40 feet high - a bit more if we climbed up on the bridge-keeper's "house". Always a getaway boat waiting below. And we always knew our water depth. It must have been something if you were a powerboater or small sail back then to see two guys doing tandem one-and-a-halfs drop in the water just ahead of, or just behind your boat.

At a party my junior year, Robin's senior year, he asked me to dive a new bridge with him in Jupiter the next day. I wanted to do it, but had a part-time job I had to be at the next day.

Corky went instead.

When I heard Robin was missing, I knew immediately what had happened. It was a low bridge, not that much of a challenge, but no safety boat and nobody checked the depth.

I don't blame Corky. Nobody does. And as bad as I feel for the guy, I wish it had been me there instead.

17. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

/thread

18. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

• I was born and grew up in Connecticut.
    • My wife was born and grew up in Ottawa, Ontario.
    • We met each other after we were both 50, have been married for 6+ years and live near Ottawa.
    Her investigations into our family trees have revealed that my Maternal Grandmother was born in Ottawa and she (my wife) had relatives in Connecticut before I did. Her relatives included a man who in 1667 was one of the group who established the town that my Father's family grew up in after his parents moved to the US from Hungary in the 1920s.

19. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

bow chicky wow wow

20. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

I had a job (2nd out of school) in the late 80s in CT. This past Saturday, I'm at an 85th b-day party for a guy who is like a local grandfather to my kids (philly area now). He's my wife's sister's husband's father and they live 15 minutes away from us.

Am at the table eating dinner and the guy sitting across from me gives me the old "you look really familiar...." so we get to talking. Turns out he worked for that same company in a sales role back 20+ years ago, lives in the same area as me now, and plays ping-pong in a group with the birthday boy.

Small world.......