Smaller and smaller...now what?

BukiUki

Hi everyone,
i'm looking at buying a small tube combo, let's say 15/20 watts, and have 500 euro to spend.
I would be using it as my portable home/practice/small gig amp, and use mostly pedals for dirt, so single channel is good, i mainly use edge of breakup/clean base sound.
I've moved from orange gro120 with 4x12 to matamp s2000 with 2x12, to ac30, and now i'm wondering which of the small combos would be good for me.
I've found an orange ad15 which seems like a good deal, but i've never tried it, i've tried a couple of ac15's, but they sounded a bit too trebly and thin(maybe the speakers needed braking in?)...
sooo...any suggestions? do i stay in the vox/orange family or should i try something different?

sants

Had an ac15c1 and I liked it but thought the high end was a bit much and couldn't get the low end that i wanted. I bought it brand new and returned it because i found a sweet deal on PRRI however, I still want to get an ac15 at some point. I'll go used for sure as it is a better value.

I picked up a Princeton reverb and that hit the spot. Sounds big especially when miked up through the pa. I think the PRRI has some nice chime to it that bigger fenders amps don't. Maybe it's the 10 inch speaker. I found it to be in between the ac15 and deluxe reverb for my tastes. Not to bright and not to dark. Takes pedals well and isn't too loud. You can really hit the sweet spot on these amps in most settings.

I play in a 5 piece jam band with keys and have used the PRRI un-miked in smaller clubs no problem!

BukiUki

Thanks sants, the prri sounds good from the clips, i'll see if i can try one, but it's about 950e over here...by the way, how's the breakup on this?

sants

I like the breakup on the PRRI. I have a vintage telefunken in the v1 so it might be better to some than stock. Mine gets really creamy and sings around 4.5 - 5 on the volume knob with humbuckers. It's a great small club amp and could be used anywhere miked up.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom