1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Smaller board..?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Msboy2011, May 22, 2011.

1. Msboy2011

Msboy2011 Member

Thinking about going with a smaller board and running a rack out front of it.

Rack:
    Tuner
    Compressor
    Drawer(s)
    In the far off future a wireless rack unit?

anything else?

Pedalboard:
    Everything else?

Thoughts anyone?

2. niclake13

niclake13 Member

Seems like you're just adding another thing to haul around.

If you're a pro gigger, have a bunch of rack-mounted effects or a MIDI switcher, and/or a lot of cash to spend, go for it.

3. Msboy2011

Msboy2011 Member

That's very true. Definitely not a pro gigger. WOuld probably just be a pain..

4. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

yup, more to lug around......

i just got the pedal board tamer, rack like, with presets (enough presets for me anyway), so i can change on the fly, but i play alot.

5. AdamRandall

AdamRandall Member

What is a rack even for? I always see pro bands playing live with racks, but there's just like a tuner and a million switches and they all have pedalboards...?

Sorry for n00b question

6. niclake13

niclake13 Member

AdamRandall, some of the "best" effects are actually rack-mounted. Couple of delays and reverbs especially come to mind. Also, there are many people who put all their effects pedals into shelves in a rack, then use a patch bay and a MIDI controller in order to access all of those.

If you're playing frequent gigs, never change your settings, have cash, and possibly a roadie or 2, these can be quite nice. For example, John Petrucci of Dream Theater uses a custom switcher to access all his gear. To change from song to song, he hits the "Next" button, and all of his buttons are ready to go for that particular song. One button could also activate a massive number of effects, saving the need for the "pedal dance" most of us are accustomed to.

So, depending on what you do with your effects, a rack system can either make your life simpler, or much more complicated.

7. AdamRandall

AdamRandall Member

Thanks, I just never really knew. I'd definitely have one if I could, but I don't play anywhere, ever. haha.

Bedroom rack= rat in a shoebox.