Smallest change to your guitar that made a big tonal difference.

zwiefldraader

Probably in this order
1) New Strings
2) Pickup height adjustment
3) Set-up
4) String gauge
5) 50s wiring

All are tonally much more rewarding than any hardware upgrade (incl. changing PUs), but, unfortunately, ultimate less fun.

Shelby27

Fret leveling = way less fret buzz and less dead notes when bending = your fingers can find the tone you want easier

Shelldigger

1. Pickup height.
2. Hybrid Slinky's 9-46 nickel.
3. Jim Dunlop Nylon picks, .73 or 1.0 depending on what I'm doing.

Also every guitar I have owned got a setup that suits me.

JWes65

Platinum Supporting Member
Changing from Dunlop Tortex to Dunlop Ultex. The harder material adds brilliance. Going from .73 and 1.14 to 2mm added volume.
I just received a pack of Dunlop Ultex sharp 1.0mm today. They do have a bright attack on strings, but I've been using Dunlop XL series Jazz III 1.0mm which is a softer sound.
Only gripe so far is the Ultex is larger after using the Jazz III.

We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

GreatSatan

haven't read through the thread yet so somebody probably already mentioned;
but pickup height.

When i'm angling for a proper rock tone (as an alternative to high gain metal) i like it super mid-to-low gain like from the early-mid 70's like acdc, bowie, stones etc.
in order to do this, i set todays more modern (& frankly overwound) pickups suuuuper low in order to better emulate those weaker vintage ttop/paf buckers of that era.
Makes the high end super clear/less harsh, more dynamic/less compressed, just a good rock tone. Works with noiseless singles too, of which i always prefer underwound anyway.

Wag

I handed it to someone with real talent. Geeezus man.....that guitar sounded sooooo sweet. :rockin

(The killer tone imparted unto said guitar mysteriously vanished after it was handed back to me later that day. Dunno... your results may vary)
:huh

jbviper4

Gold Supporting Member
Telecaster - brass saddles and heavier strings.

LP - shielding, raised pickups and lighter strings.

pacorpse666

I started using Guitar Center "Musicians Friend" strings. Didn't make my sound any different, just took less out of my wallet.

I just received a pack of Dunlop Ultex sharp 1.0mm today. They do have a bright attack on strings, but I've been using Dunlop XL series Jazz III 1.0mm which is a softer sound.
Only gripe so far is the Ultex is larger after using the Jazz III.

We'll see how it goes.

mflemmer2

Changing my Floyd Rose (brass) sustain block from 32 mm to 37 mm. Not thicker or different material, just longer. FWIW the guitar is a PRS SE Floyd Custom 24.

Trending Topics