Smallest open back 112 combo Cab size

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Shrigg, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Shrigg

Shrigg Member

I am looking to build the smallest and lightest great-sounding 112 combo cab possible for my EF86 18w build (early ac15 pre with 18w Marshall power).

Cool as they are, vintage AC15 and 1974x combos are way too big and heavy for me to live with. Prevailing wisdom seems to suggest a small cab can sound "boxy" yet I see amazing offerings such as the Texamps EF86 at 19x19x9 and Sock Monkey 18/12 at 18.75"W x 17"H x 8.25"D (and only 28 pounds!)

In this boutique spirit of "smaller, lighter, better," just how small can I go? I plan to use one of these older Rola Celestions, one is a 75Hz and one is a 55Hz.... Any opinions on which speaker would sound better in this application would be appreciated too. Thanks everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  2. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

I wouldn't go smaller than fender deluxe size, otherwise it will sound boxy. Build it out of pine to save weight.

3. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

the fender blues Jr, is a similar wattage/tube configuration and size to what you're looking for
    16" x 18" x 9.18"

4. wookiefoot

wookiefoot Gold Supporting Member

5. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I would go with pine to save weight and pair it with the 55hz speaker to retain decent low end.

6. Shrigg

Shrigg Member

Thinking about mahogany to make this a living room furniture grade amp. Is there much weight penalty vs. pine?

7. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Mahogany will be much heavier than pine. You can finish pine to look like furniture.

Mojotone makes good cabinets and many for well known amp builders. A pine cabinet tweed Deluxe style amp with a Neo speaker will only weigh about 27 lbs. I bought a Mojotone pine extension cabinet, put an 12" Eminence Lil Texas Neo speaker in it and it only weighs 17 and 1/2 lbs!

8. Shrigg

Shrigg Member

Those weights sound great! I'm planning to build a slightly downsized version of the ac15 TV heritage mahogany. Probably 18x18x9 (same size as the old AC10) with an angled baffle and sides like a tweed deluxe.

May use pine to keep it as light as possible with the 55Hz Blackback, although if it's just a pound or two difference I may go with mahogany anyway. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015