smallest room suitable for recording guitar

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by wsaraceni, Jun 3, 2008.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

if you were to build a studio with an amp room, what is the smallest dimensions you would consider in order to get good guitar tone?

thanks
    bill

2. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

I don't have a lot of experience recording electric guitars, but I'd be thinking along the lines of an iso cabinet. I've always thought it's gotta' be loud to get the good tones.

I'll be interested to hear what others say.

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i have a randall isocabinet now. i find it to be small and boxy sounding for the most part. i also have a 4' tall crawlspace under the house that i can easily turn into an iso room (if you can call something slightly under 4' tall a room. im wondering if that with a 2x12 will sound better and more open than the iso cab or if i am just wasting my time.

4. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

Certainly, it would sound better than an iso cab. But I think it would be very impractical because:

• virtually impossible to soundproof
    • difficult to access (move a mic/cab)
    • Heat & AC

A producer friend of mine had a nifty solution for recording amps at his house. He had the session player pull his SUV up to the door...put the cabinet in there! Try it sometime. :dude

5. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

actually only soundproofing would be an issue, and thats only a time/cost thing. it would be pretty easy to build a small soundproof room. no heat or ac would be needed since id only throw a 2x12 or 4x12 cab in there and leave the amp at my computer. play via monitors. the only difficulty moving the mic around is walking down the flight of stairs

i guess ill have to try it out this weekend

6. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

Just how quiet do you need it to be?

7. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

quiet enough i wont hear it over the monitors one floor up. the speaker will be in the crawl space. and ill be on the 2nd floor. so i have one full floor to not hear it through

8. Bussman

Bussman Member

I don't think it matters if you can hear it over the monitors. You can always track with headphones. I'd worry more about the monitors (or other noises) leaking into the mic (as you raise the volume to compete with the leakage from the amp for instance, haha). The other thing I'd be concerned about is the cable length going to the cab, methinks you want to keep that as short as possible so keeping the head in the control room might not be the best idea.

I have a crawl space adjacent to my home studio (other side of knee wall, studio is in attic). I have been thinking of doing just what you describe. I am going to build a big insulated box sitting on neoprene blocks and insulate the crawl space. I fully expect to still hear the amp on the other side though.

9. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

the cable run will be about 50' from head to cab and from mic to preamp. i dont think 50' should be much of an issue. what do you guys think?

and i absolutely despise headphones.

10. Bussman

Bussman Member

The mic line can be as long as you want. Speaker lines generally don't pick up a lot of noise so I guess you'll be OK, perhaps use a bigger gauge and definitely don't use a regular instrument cable (but you already know that).

11. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

cool. i didnt really know anout speaker cabling length and mic length. i dont think 50' should be an issue as most venues are more than 50' from mic to board.