Smallsound/Bigsound

Coheed

Has anyone been able to reach Brian @ SSBS?
I would really like to get my hands on a Mini but I’m not getting any replies to my emails.
Anyone been successful in recent days?

Tung-Sol Tube

It seems from his website he’s hit a very busy period. He’s a one man shop AFAIK and probably has a lot of orders coming in.

If you don’t hear back after a couple weeks, I suggest following up, as he probably is just inundated with emails piling up.

Tung-Sol Tube

I ordered a pedal 6 weeks ago. No reply’s to email, or phone calls returned.
How many times have you pinged him? I had to reach out to Brian several times when I had a pedal in for repair after it was on his bench for about that long.

He’s a good guy and got me all taken care of, but I imagine he could use some part-time help for customer service/admin plus maybe pedal assembly. For small builders, it is probably not an easy calculus between doing it all yourself vs. hiring staff and then having to pay wages and benefits.

Hope you get things sorted out soon!

UrbanHymns

Silver Supporting Member
A local shop near me is an official dealer. They will get small batches of stuff and then hear nothing for 6 months. His pedals are great, but yes, he's a one man show.

aaronjcurtis

Silver Supporting Member
I went through this with him once. Paid for a custom order, weeks go by and nothing. Sent him an email and lo and behold that day the pedal arrives. Bizarre. He operates on his own time and is quite busy with a couple projects (pedals and other stuff). I'd keep emailing him for updates is all I can suggest. His stuff is great, but yeah you shouldn't have to wait in the dark.

Tung-Sol Tube

I’ve reached out several times. Email and phone. I don’t doubt he’s a good dude, his reputation seems to be good as I haven’t heard anything negative about him, and this isn’t a knock against his character.
I get that he’s a one man operation, but communication with customers is incredibly important.
Ghosting someone for 6 weeks that’s paid you for something isn’t exactly a sustainable business model.
I went ahead and just cancelled the order with PayPal.
Yeah, I agree with you. I was definitely anxious when it happened to me and more responsive customer service would have alleviated that. It shouldn’t have to be a game of phone tag/pinging via email.

Hope everything works out smoothly with your cancellation.

I went through this with him once. Paid for a custom order, weeks go by and nothing. Sent him an email and lo and behold that day the pedal arrives. Bizarre. He operates on his own time and is quite busy with a couple projects (pedals and other stuff). I'd keep emailing him for updates is all I can suggest. His stuff is great, but yeah you shouldn't have to wait in the dark.
Yeah, I was dying to try the f*#k overdrive. I’ve been hearing it on puisheen’s videos for a while and love the sound of it... Bummer. Just have to try and snag one on reverb, I guess.

Last edited:

Coheed

Thanks for all your replies.
I really don’t want this to turn into a negative slagfest.
A guy going solo building awesome pedals needs our support. If communication isn’t his strong suit so be it. We will just have to be patient to get his stuff. I didn’t realize just how busy he might be.
Power to him!
Anywho, hope your beers are cold gams and gents…have a nice weekend!

Yeah, I was dying to try the f*#k overdrive. I’ve been hearing it on puisheen’s videos for a while and love the sound of it... Bummer.
Thanks for all your replies.
I really don’t want this to turn into a negative slagfest.
A guy going solo building awesome pedals needs our support. If communication isn’t his strong suit so be it. We will just have to be patient to get his stuff. I didn’t realize just how busy he might be.
Power to him!
Anywho, hope your beers are cold gams and gents…have a nice weekend!
You’re right. My apologies if I went too negative in my comments.

old_skool

I’ve been going back and forth with him over the last few weeks. He seems stretched pretty thin. He also seems like a really nice, genuine guy.

And now instead of one Mini I’m getting a matching set. And I can’t wait.

Try to be patient. It’ll be worth it.

Rococco

He’s a stand up guy. Fixed a faulty switch on my Mini a while back and got it back in a week free of charge. He’s probably got his hands full or something going on around his life. Sucks, but I’d suggest you to give him another chance.

johnydoida

Glad I found this thread ( and glad to be back to this forum after 7 years of inactivity )

We emailed a bit back and forth last saturday, paid for a pedal on sunday.

I hope my payment didn't go unnoticed because he hasn't been responding to any emails since that day.

I was a bit baffled since I only read good things about Brian and SSBS. Didn't know it was a one man show though.

Doesn't help that this was my first boutique/small builder pedal purchase ever.

I guess I'll try to be more patient but yeah I wish I could get at least a confirmation.

Hope everything's alright with him and his family.

Cheers everyone.