Smashing Pumpkins get James Iha back after 16 years

JCM 800

I've always like Iha but I was never the biggest Pumpkins fan, and haven't liked any of their music since the 90's.

jdogric12

Anyone see the Chris Isaak show where Billy said James and D'arcy couldn't play their instruments? I wonder how that went over.

EricPeterson

Serious question, what did James actually bring to the band? I am not knocking his playing, I am just not sure any of his playing actually ever ended up on a Pumpkins record.

jammwill

Serious question, what did James actually bring to the band? I am not knocking his playing, I am just not sure any of his playing actually ever ended up on a Pumpkins record.
It is true he did not play on Gish and Siamese Dream. He did, however, co-write two of the best songs on Siamese Dream (Soma and Mayonaise) and played on the rest of the albums when he was in the band. I always thought the chemistry of that original lineup was underestimated. Sure, the Pumpkins was pretty much the Billy Corgan show, but the chemistry of that lineup made it work. Billy hasn't been able to accomplish since what he did with those other 3 people.

Sun Creature

Supporting Member
I figured it would have already been brought up by now.:eek:

It made me smile a lot. Siamese Dream and Melon Collie meant a lot to me. I remember being 9-10 and hearing my oldest sister blasting the latter every morning getting ready for school. Usually it was JellyBelly.

As far as I knew, Corgan only played all the instruments on Gish and Siamese Dream, could be wrong though.

billboy73

Smashing Pumpkins was one of the first bands I got into growing up, and I am still a fan. I like the new stuff as well. While seeing James play with Billy and Jimmy again is cool, I don't really care if he were to come back or not. Jeff, the current guitarist, is a great player anyway. Now Jimmy on the other hand, needs to stay in the band.

Trending Topics