Smashing Pumpkins Triple Album??

Blurillaz

Not trying to derail the thread here, but how many of those did people really know? I’m not talking about “singles”, I’m talking real actual hits average people would know and have heard due to nonstop radio play.
If we go by your "actual hits average people would know and have heard" criteria, preferences aside, Prince would still have about a dozen songs and Pumpkins would have between 0 and 1.

billboy73

I’m a big fan of the majority of that album.

It got those accolades on the back of a handful of extremely popular songs.

It could have been one of the greatest single albums of any era. There was a considerable amount of excess there.

You can’t conflate the accolades it received with the quality of all the material.

Again I’m a huge fan of about a single albums worth of material from Mellon Collie. While he was able to get away with that kind of excess in 1995 with the momentum and success of Siamese Dream in the rear view, I can’t see him pulling off a triple album in 2022.

For me MCIS is one of the greatest albums of all time, and I don't think of any of it as filler. Some of it is indulgent, so I get when people say it is too long or bloated, but it fits the scope of Billy's ambition for the album. When you include the material from the singles, the Aeroplane Flies High box, I think it was an incredibly prolific time for the band. The MCIS sessions produced so much great material, and I love that era of the band.

I will say that I am excited for a follow up album, and I am sure I will most likely enjoy it. I am a fan of modern Pumpkins as well. Do I believe it will come close to MCIS? I don't think so, but would love to be surprised!

david(j)

Silver Supporting Member
Looks like no one really got to Machina, huh? That album was fantastic.

I’ll check out the new one/three. I hope it’s great.

pup tentacle

Good for him.
I don't get all the people being negative about this. You can just skip any tracks you don't like, or delete them from your music library. This isn't 1975 anymore where you'd have to pick up the needle and move it anytime you wanted to skip a song...

I want artists to release as much as possible while they're here and leave it up to me to decide which songs i like and which i don't.

Appreciating albums for their overall quality and cohesiveness, has nothing to do with the difficulty of skipping tracks on a record, or saving space on a hard drive. I don't appreciate artists haphazardly releasing piles of whatever comes to mind. Quality over quantity!

Strummerfan

I'd be more interested in the tour than a new SP album. I like the pumpkins, but I love Jane's. Navarro is a great guitar player and the bands original era work was top notch.
BTW wasn’t the Clash’s Sandanista a triple
Yes it was. There were some questionable tracks that made it on there, but on the whole it was a brilliant, unique, and varied release. More genres on that album than most bands touch on in a career.

MJR

I'd be more interested in the tour than a new SP album. I like the pumpkins, but I love Jane's. Navarro is a great guitar player and the bands original era work was top notch.

Is Navarro on the upcoming tour? I've seen references to another guy in their recent social media activity.

Either way, those two bands together is a must-see for me.

MrTAteMyBalls

Here's my $.02 on the matter - Gish and Siamese Dream are absolutely stellar, classic albums. Among the best of the decade.

Mellon Collie is fantastic, but I also agree with those who think it could have been truly great by being edited down to a single disc. I like some of Adore, but they've been pretty inconsistent since then. Despite that, I'm intrigued by what a triple album from them might sound like. I just hope it's not like their last album. Put the synths away and play guitar, please.

That last one was AWFUL. I listened to it once and the only good part about it is that I never have to listen to it again.

I still check out everything they put out....some of it is good. Some awful. The golden age of 91-96, I really think Billy couldn't write a bad song....he was just so dialed in.

MC is a fantastic album. Even with it's flaws I wouldn't change anything. Machina and Machina II are both also really good and have aged really well.

Looks like no one really got to Machina, huh? That album was fantastic.

I’ll check out the new one/three. I hope it’s great.
I’m eagerly awaiting the official release of Machina II.

“Let Me Give The World to You” was a great tune on that one. But you gotta dig to find it.

Machina had some great songs too. The production gets in the way sometimes, but I appreciate they were still pushing to cover new sonic territory. The production worked on Adore, not so much on Machina.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom