Smashing Pumpkins used to sound like The Smiths!

Adolf

I think each vocalist was optimal for their respective band and its music.
It's a very diplomatic response, but as much mysticism and romanticism as Morrissey stirs up, we both know they're not even in the same league.

Yes, Morrissey was a better lyricist, but Dolores was also a songwriter, and a good songwriter.

BlackSG91

The Smashing Pumpkins used to sound like The Smiths...but now they sound like a Smith & Wesson...to the head!?:eeks

dumbass-with-big-gun-gif.52190

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
It's a very diplomatic response, but as much mysticism and romanticism as Morrissey stirs up, we both know they're not even in the same league.

Yes, Morrissey was a better lyricist, but Dolores was also a songwriter, and a good songwriter.

I'm not prone to the mystic, romantic or mythic Mozzer crap, and I've been a Smiths follower since they were an active band, but I also don't believe singers belong in leagues. Morrissey is the voice of The Smiths. Full stop. I'd have as little interest in hearing Dolores O'Riordan fronting Marr, Rourke and Joyce as I'd have hearing Morrissey crooning his way through the Cranberries library.

Last edited:

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
Check out early Ministry, in comparison to now.
Yeah HUGE difference! I may be in the minority but I always liked the early stuff and couldn’t stand the “I’m a tortured heroin addict” dirty/scummy vibe of the later stuff. Al just morphed into this vile dude who looked like a dirty insect. Watching him made me want to take a shower and get a tetanus shot.

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not prone to the mystic, romantic or mythic Mozzer crap, and I've been a Smiths follower since hey were an active band, but I also don't believe singers belong in leagues. Morrissey is the voice of The Smiths. Full stop. I'd have as little interest in hearing Dolores O'Riordan fronting Marr, Rourke and Joyce as I'd have hearing Morrissey crooning his way through the Cranberries library.
Nobody can do the phrasing and dramatic delivery of those Smiths lyrics like the man who wrote them

Trending Topics

Top Bottom