Smashing Pumpkins used to sound like The Smiths!

RanaldoNecro

Silver Supporting Member
I've seen TSP 7 times since 1994 and Billy solo once. I think he is also a fantastic songwriter. I also think Ogilala is better than Cotillions.

HAL 9000

I find The Cranberries...too tart.

I prefer The Blueberries or The Strawberries.

I find The Smiths..too general.

I prefer The Joneses or The Johnsons.

Just Kidding.

I enjoy both The Smiths and The Cranberries.

MEANWHILE, BACK TO THE PUMPKINS:

I hear some Joy Division/early New Order in them as well:

Bleed

norska

Gold Supporting Member
I wasn’t expecting this. there’s a Smashing Pumpkins show from 1988 in its entirely on YT. no Strats, Marshalls or Big Muffs. just a Mustang / Tele into Roland Jazz Choruses. heavy on The Smiths / The Cure post-punk. very cool stuff!

Always loved this song.

Slo Lerner

That’s not funny at all, I actually have a disease, that I wouldn’t wish on my worse enemy, but go ahead and laugh, I wish you all the best, meanwhile I fight an uphill battle each and every day, each and every minute I’m awake!

View attachment 492027
On something of vastly more importance than which band will be remembered, congratulations on a hard won journey! What you're doing is not easy but it is definitely something you should be proud of. Keep on keepin' on!

RanaldoNecro

Silver Supporting Member
WOW, I just got slapped hard and for good reason. Now, I do remember that it was a contractual obligation. I didn't know that reference. I suppose only The Smiths/Morrissey really knows what the intention was.

RanaldoNecro

Silver Supporting Member
The Cranberries were not that original. The Smiths were the biggest thing since The Beatles in the UK from 84-87 but not in the USA.

Lode Runner

Prickly, but also a genius. If you are a fan, you know Billy by now. His public persona is probably very different than his private one. I will always buy his stuff.

I do recommend his episode in the Rockontours podcast with Guy Pratt and Gary Kemp. A proper music chat with musicians who ask the right questions and know what they are talking about.
BC came out rather well from this in my opinion.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom